Guess I'll go first!

Tell us a bit about yourself and how you use the Tempest sites!

Guess I'll go first!

Postby Tempest Nathan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi, I'm Nathan. I run CraigsHelper.

So.. about a year and a half ago, I was living in Waterloo, Ontario, doing a Master's in electrical engineering. It was rather hot in Waterloo that summer, especially in my apartment (or so it seemed). I found myself trolling craigslist for an A/C unit. Now, at that time, there were about 4 craigslists within easy driving distance of Waterloo (Toronto, Hamilton, London, Kitchener). Four doesn't seem like that many, but as I'm sure you all know, it was a royal PITA searching them all for the same thing. In fact, I never did buy that air conditioner.. maybe that's why! :roll:

However, some good did come of my long, uncomfortably humid summer. 8-) The idea for CraigsHelper was born. And in about a month of serious slacking off from my research, so was the site itself! (At least the original version.. you wouldn't recognize it now!)

Now I'm living in Vancouver, BC. I put that Master's to use in my real job at an electronics company, and spend far too much of my 'free time' tinkering with CraigsHelper (and HanksHelper). In my free free time I like foosball, running or biking, board games, rowing, and other normal people stuff.. :D

OK, your turn!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

introductions

Postby kater » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 am

Hi,
I am new to craigslist and someone who didn't want my Rhoades Car after all, wrote back and I asked about craigslist postings and he sent me the link Craigshelper.com
That was very nice of him! Several of the gals in my bc group are using craigs list and I'm starting to, so I'm getting the word out about this...

We mostly are wondering how you can renew something after a week, ....copy and paste seems the easiest so far for us non serious users.

In my spare time I would love to ride my Rhoades Car I just got on ebay...with my four dogs....and several cats (well they wont be riding probably, just one quarantined cat to get him outside a bit)....I like photography, photoshop, computers, learning the ever changing technologies...gardening...wallyball (blue volleyball in racquetball court where you can just about close your eyes and hit the ball and get lots of laughs)...turning 50 in 2008.....(rhoades car four seater was "my" mid life crisis corvette)...volleyball....hope to foster dogs and cats at some point...my career was journalism, photography, marketing, PR, and then computer teaching at jr. college....loved all my jobs....they just kept getting better and i learned from them all....

Kater
Thanks Nathan. Good luck to you![/color]
kater

Re: Guess I'll go first! -Tell me more Nathan

Postby lyber8ed » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:31 am

So how does a guy who specializes in electrical engineering create a website that is becoming successful? Does your partner have all that computer programming, web design, server know-how or did/do you have an above average knowledge of computers and web technology? Just wondering...Craig had the technical background to create and run a user friendly functioning website, do you too or do you have people/a person for that? :o) Thanks for the info. Maybe there's a website with your story in detail thus far??
lyber8ed

Re: Guess I'll go first! -Tell me more Nathan

Postby Tempest Nathan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 am

lyber8ed wrote:So how does a guy who specializes in electrical engineering create a website that is becoming successful? Does your partner have all that computer programming, web design, server know-how or did/do you have an above average knowledge of computers and web technology? Just wondering...Craig had the technical background to create and run a user friendly functioning website, do you too or do you have people/a person for that? :o) Thanks for the info. Maybe there's a website with your story in detail thus far??

No partner, just me. I did hire a web developer a few months ago, but he's mostly working on new projects (like www.movietempest.com). Some amount of coding and such is inevitable in electrical engineering, so I didn't start from scratch or anything, but as far as web stuff I pretty much did. I was working on my master's thesis a few years ago and decided to take a bit of a 'break' from my research and learn something else useful. Sooo I literally got a few basic web development books out of the library and started reading.

I figured I'd make a simple little 'test' site to figure things out. As I mentioned, I was living in a very hot apartment in the summer and was looking on nearby craigslists for a portable AC unit on the cheap. I ran into the same annoyance that brings most people here. :) But since CraigsHelper/SearchTempest obviously didn't exist yet, I figured I might as well make something to help search craigslists.

I only figured it would be a fun little project to learn some web stuff. Originally all it did was generate a list of links to the various craigslist results pages. No iframes, no sort by distance, etc. But it mostly worked. I got a free $25 advertising credit with my $6 a month web hosting, so made a little ad, and a handful of people started using the site. I guess they told their friends who told their friends who posted about it on forums... The site grew, and I slowly actually learned what I was doing as I continued to improve it. And now we have SearchTempest. :D
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Guess I'll go first!

Postby St1ngR » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:11 am

Nathan thanks for all your help pal. This thing is a stroke of genius and has really helped me in my business. Is there a place we can donate so you guys can continue to maintain this site. We don't really need any updates since it works pretty darn good right now. Again thanks for all the help and actually getting this project done!!!
St1ngR

Postby Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks! We do fine with advertisements and such, so no need to send a donation. If you'd like to help us out, the best way is just to spread the word about our sites to anyone you think would find them useful. (Maybe friends/family, forums you frequent, facebook...)
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Postby St1ngR » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks a bunch man!
St1ngR

Postby Movadobgd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm

First thank you for this great website
second: The field “Signature” is too long, a maximum of 0 characters is allowed.
WHYYYY? :) you are not letting us promote your websites. The signature is not allowed, or it is but with 0 characters, which si really unlikely that someone will have one.

Anyways http://www.yourpersonalworkforce.org if you ever need any of my services, I will try to do some for free and give back to you, or really cheap if someone else is doing it.

With that brain of yours maybe we can cooperate and build something amazing.
Let me know
Movadobgd

Postby Tempest Nathan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Honestly, these forums aren't used much now that we have our new support and feedback site up at http://support.searchtempest.com/. The reasoning behind no signature though was that it significantly cuts down on spam posts, which means less time wading through spam and more working on the site.
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!