New Version-Sucks

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
waterwalker

New Version-Sucks

Post by waterwalker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 am

This up graded version is terrible almost 4 minute response time? Change it back!!!! it was better before

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: New Version-Sucks

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:32 am

4 minute response time?! Are you using an old version of IE, or loading the site over a dial-up connection? (Even so I wouldn't expect that slow, but it would help to explain it.)

For me the results page with first 10 cities finishes loading in approximately 3.5 seconds.

We do have a couple FAQ entries with things to try if things are loading slowly:
http://www.searchtempest.com/faq.php#slow
http://www.searchtempest.com/faq.php#noload

Also, this entry explains why changes were made (including why we can't just "change it back"):
http://www.searchtempest.com/faq.php#resultschange

Hope those help! After you've tried the suggestions in those FAQ answers, if you're still having problems, please do post again with more details. The link in my signature lists some of the info we would need to try to help further.

FourtyCaliber

Post by FourtyCaliber » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm not having any problems with it, other than the out of order results which I know is not SearchTempest problem. FYI, I'm on dial-up connection and the results load within about 15 to 30 seconds for me. Frankly, I'm just FREAKING HAPPY that there is still someplace to go and search Craigslist multiple cities all at once. All of the other sites have shut down! If using IE, switch to Firefox and make sure AdBlock (if you're using it) isn't blocking anything from SearchTempest.

Evoxium

Post by Evoxium » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:47 pm

SearchTempest used to be great because I could search 20 different states within a 700mi radius for rare items that I was fairly certain weren't available locally within my own state. Some things are worth driving for and this site was a great way to see what was out there, the fact that the areas were listed in order of distance from zip code made it that much more convenient. Since the change with Google's APi or whatever I read, if I search for combined results within a 400mi radius I get 6-10 results tops. I have to go to 'Direct Results' mode and select each area individually now, because there's 300+ results that aren't showing up in the combined section. So it really isn't much more intuitive than doing it individually on craigslist's site. I agree with the OP, it does suck now(in it's current state). However, I'm hopeful that using words to explain the problem will better help you come up with a solution.

(Thought I fixed it with a browser update, but turns out the filter had reset and was currently set to any distance. There's still a lot of missing results.)

Kind Regards,
- Jay

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Please note that this thread is four years old.

And yes, one reason shy we showed results from each city separately us that Google tends to miss results when they're searched in a single list. (Although not usually nearly that many, and generally the Additional Results from Bing section should catch many of those.

Still, it's not ideal. However! We're working on a major update to the Direct Results section that will get you the same results, while cutting down the number of links you have to click by a factor of 20. It should be the best of both worlds. Hoping to have it released by tomorrow.

Evoxium

Post by Evoxium » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:01 pm

I tend to search using very broad terms so I don't miss anything, so the margin of error may be close to what you have in mind. But the bing results definitely miss quite a bit when compared to 'Direct Results', or even the old 'Combined' google results that were separated by city(which I had no problem with).

Sorry for bumping an old thread. The topic fit the bill, and the date aside from the year (which I had overlooked) seemed around the time I started having problems with the new combined results and the issues you've been dealing with grabbing indexes.

Looking forward to the update, and thanks.

- Jay

SmugglersBlues

Post by SmugglersBlues » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Not impressed with the new layout at all. Now I have to open several pages in order to search? What happened to listing all the cities on the main search page?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:49 pm

This should help explain why the separate cities listed right on the page had to go, ad well as the advantages of the new Direct Results option, despite the hassle of the links: https://support.searchtempest.com/hc/en ... esults-go-