No results bug when searching for only -words

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
dustwalk

No results bug when searching for only -words

Post by dustwalk » Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

I would like to search an entire category for all results that DO NOT include certain key words. For example, I want to find all motorcycles/scooters listings that do not contain the word "atv"

Using the search string "-atv", I get no results out of 5 cities. Of course, checking those cities manually reveals plenty of listings without the word "atv". The same happens if I add additional -words, for example "-atv -harley". Adding an inclusive keyword, e.g. "honda -atv" will yield correct results. I am correctly using the search option "All/Advanced"

Is this to be expected? Is it not possilbe to use exclusive keywords without inclusive keywords?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: No results bug when searching for only -words

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu May 26, 2011 2:30 pm

This is actually due to a deficiency in craigslist itself. There is a work-around though. Every craigslist ad contains the word "contact". (At the bottom it says "It is (not) ok to contact this person for commercial [blah blah].")

So if you just search for contact -atv you should be good.

I should actually add some code to do that automatically. Will add that to my to-do list. :)

dustwalk

Post by dustwalk » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 pm

OK noted.

Also, this site kicks serious butt. I use it all the time. I'll be spreading the word about it. Thanks

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu May 26, 2011 11:17 pm

dustwalk wrote:OK noted.

Also, this site kicks serious butt. I use it all the time. I'll be spreading the word about it. Thanks
Great! :) And, I went ahead and made that change now, so you should be good with just typing "-atv" (no quotes). It will automatically add 'contact' for you. (Has the humorous result of a bunch of Google ads about contact lenses, but I figure that's not the end of the world. :D)