"Enhanced" search not working today

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
rasqual

Re: "Enhanced" search not working today

Post by rasqual » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:17 am

Google's cache for CL is way too stale.

If CL wishes to recommend Google for searches (a sensible thing for them to do), they're going to need to negotiate some special treatment from Google.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, since I'm not a Java whiz, does anyone know simply how to code a bookmarklet which will, on the client side, close all iframes (div, whatever) that have "Nothing found for that search" in them? ;)

m_reich

Post by m_reich » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 am

rasqual wrote:Google's cache for CL is way too stale.
If CL wishes to recommend Google for searches (a sensible thing for them to do), they're going to need to negotiate some special treatment from Google.
I get "posting has expired" for 90% of results with the new search :-(

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, since I'm not a Java whiz, does anyone know simply how to code a bookmarklet which will, on the client side, close all iframes (div, whatever) that have "Nothing found for that search" in them? ;)
As far as I am aware you can't access the contents of inner frame opened from the other site with Javascript. E.g. you can't read what's inside the IFRAME if this content has not been loaded from your site - it's called JS cross-domain restrictions.

The only way to do it is with Flash plugin.
EDIT: I know because I've done it before and I have quite an experience in this area.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:31 pm

m_reich wrote:As far as I am aware you can't access the contents of inner frame opened from the other site with Javascript. E.g. you can't read what's inside the IFRAME if this content has not been loaded from your site - it's called JS cross-domain restrictions.

The only way to do it is with Flash plugin.
EDIT: I know because I've done it before and I have quite an experience in this area.
Can't do it with a Flash plugin either unless the framed site explicitly allows it. You can do it with Java, not Javascript. The issue now is a legal one, not a technical one. I'm looking into it.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 pm

m_reich wrote:
I get "posting has expired" for 90% of results with the new search :-(
I think it depends what you're searching for. I did quite a few test searches that turned out pretty well. If you want to email me your specific search(es) I'd be interested in checking them out. It is intended to be a supplement to the standard mode rather than a replacement. (Also, I can only do what I can do. :) )

rasqual

Post by rasqual » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Searchtempest Nathan wrote:As far as I am aware you can't access the contents of inner frame opened from the You can do it with Java, not Javascript. The issue now is a legal one, not a technical one. I'm looking into it.
It'd be nice to implement your method in a localhost page of some kind, not dependent on a public web server. I wonder if that would be a legal concern?

GOLLY, THAT SURE WOULD BE A FUN THING TO TRY . . .

;)