"Enhanced" search not working today

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
tigerdude77

Re: "Enhanced" search not working today

Post by tigerdude77 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Actually - I think that new enhanced version DOES in fact cause more strain on their servers. It has to logically speaking. It's so easy to do wide searches, and MORE searches, in a short period of time. I'm as guilty of doing that as anyone. The enhanced version is GREAT. The older version is only so-so IMO. No offense intended, but let's be truthful here and not insult anyone's intelligence saying that the older version is in the same class with the enhanced version. Hopefully, you guys can work out the differences. CL should just put some type of limiter on the searches if it's an issue. I've seen that work elsewhere - not inventing any wheels here - so they should be able to do something like that I guess. Oops - I'm in that 'fantasy world' again (or at least according to CL programmers). What was I thinking?? Maybe they'll try to get out more often.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:45 pm

tigerdude77 wrote:Actually - I think that new enhanced version DOES in fact cause more strain on their servers. It has to logically speaking. It's so easy to do wide searches, and MORE searches, in a short period of time. I'm as guilty of doing that as anyone. The enhanced version is GREAT. The older version is only so-so IMO. No offense intended, but let's be truthful here and not insult anyone's intelligence saying that the older version is in the same class with the enhanced version. Hopefully, you guys can work out the differences. CL should just put some type of limiter on the searches if it's an issue. I've seen that work elsewhere - not inventing any wheels here - so they should be able to do something like that I guess. Oops - I'm in that 'fantasy world' again (or at least according to CL programmers). What was I thinking?? Maybe they'll try to get out more often.
If they ask me to limit the number of cities pulled up by the enhanced mode or something like that, I'd be willing to do so. In reality though, according to my logs, people were not doing considerably more searches on average using the enhanced mode than they do with the regular. They were simply able to do them more quickly and easily. (Who suggested that the classic mode was as good as the enhanced? Obviously enhanced was 'enhanced'. That's why I made it!)

hoosiercub

Post by hoosiercub » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:42 pm

This is crap I think, it obviously puts a strain on their servers, but no more so I'd think than the original searchtempest search applet. If they had a reasonable way of searching, something much more nimble and useful, as opposed to the clumsy 90's version of CL that we're so used to today.. I'd imagine that sites like searchtempest and crazedlist would probably not even exist. I live in a rural area that isn't really near anything on craigslist, and they do not accept suggestions for locales. ST is amazing and the enhanced version was something even more amazing, what exactly did you guys receive from CL, what did they say you were doing wrong, I'm relatively sure that you violated no terms of service, I could be wrong, but I don't see any difference in the regular vs enhanced version.. other than an extreme ease of use.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Can't really comment on these issues right now. I'm likely going to be absent from this thread until I have something concrete to report. Here's hoping it's something concrete... and good!

71hotrodpinto

Post by 71hotrodpinto » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi there new to the forums but not new to searching with search tempest.
Have to say my personal opinion is that craigslist format was archaic at best. You really pulled "them" Into the 21st century with the new java format. It did tend to load a bit slow but was worth it.
Its obvious to me by "reading between the lines" that they were just offended that you did what the refused or couldn't do. So they made you (search tempest) turn it off.
I hate this kind of political crap.

I really hate the old search now. Its so irritating when browsing results that every time i go "back" that i goes to the top of the search. ARRRGGGHHH!!! Opening in a new window is just a hassle with 2 more mouse clicks. Sounds trivial really but when your time is precious it gets annoying.

I really hope that your able to bring back the new "ENHANCED" version. It was soo much better!
Thanks for your efforts!
Robert

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Robert,

Maybe I can help you get the most out of the classic version. I assume you're using Internet Explorer, as that's the only browser that really loaded the enhanced search slowly (on a fast computer), and it has a bug that causes the top-of-page issue within the results frames. My first suggestion would be to use Firefox instead. It's a far superior browser - you'll notice much faster page loads, and fewer issues like this.

However, opening in new tabs doesn't have to mean extra mouse clicks. I would actually suggest the new-tab approach, even if (when hopefully :) ) you switch to Firefox, as it makes things much more convenient. Simply middle-click on a link to open it in a new tab. (IE use your mouse wheel as a button and click with it.) If your mouse doesn't have a wheel, get a new one... ;) In the mean time though, you can hold CTRL and left-click.

Hope that helps.

quotemstr

Post by quotemstr » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:33 am

Thanks for all the work you've put into search tempest.

Why does Craigslist's opinion here matter? Your users are executing code on their own machines. Why does Craigslist get a say in the matter?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:02 am

quotemstr wrote:Thanks for all the work you've put into search tempest.

Why does Craigslist's opinion here matter? Your users are executing code on their own machines. Why does Craigslist get a say in the matter?
As much as I'd LOVE to comment on that one, once again, I'd better leave it until it's resolved. I appreciate the thanks though. :)

rasqual

Post by rasqual » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:22 pm

I sure hope this ends felicitously. You've spoiled us all!

I'm a bit baffled by the approach CL has taken. I'm sure they have their reasons for it, but single queries to multiple areas would be a simple thing for them to implement. SIMPLE.

Maybe they figure that if people can search more widely, spammers would realize that CL would give more exposure to their crap, and CL would have a garbage problem. Dunno.

Geez I miss the enhanced search. That's so, so elegant. Kudos to you for your work, whether it comes back or not.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 am

Some news! I've been working hard on this basically constantly over the past week. (Took Christmas day off though.. ;)) And I've come up with something new and, hopefully, cool. Read about it here!

You can get it through the options menu, or by clicking the "big list" link at the top of the results page.

Let me know what you think!