Search Error

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
shubido

Search Error

Post by shubido » Sat May 13, 2017 6:13 am

I am getting this error when searching using SearchTempest.
Invalid search option
Bad value for subcat: It can only be 3 characters long and it must be in lowercase.

Due to the nature of my search I don't feel comfortable disclosing it in this open forum. However I have been using this service for over a year and know without a doubt that I am entering my search correctly. I expanded my search distance to "Any", changed options under the "What" category to Any/All and advanced with the same result. I tried putting quotes around my search terms, changed my zip code search area etc.
I deleted the browsing history with google chrome, internet explorer and foxfire with the exact same result.
I know craigslist implemented a new anti-bot tool forcing searchers to click "I am not a bot" but this shouldn't have any effect on just searching. Only for posting new ads and answering existing posts.

Can anyone please help

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Search Error

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 am

Please send us an email via our contact page so we can check it out: www.searchtempest.com/contact

If you include the link to your results page, we can see exactly what's up. Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

ST-Fanboy

Post by ST-Fanboy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:15 pm

As of yesterday the site stopped working inside Chrome on the Android platform using a query in my phone's cache that has worked for months. A similar query on my PC worked just fine until I restarted to apply updates to OS. I even tried Firefox in addition to Chrome and its completely broken. Its' pretty trivial to duplicate:

enter "90210" for the zip code without quotes. leave default of 400 miles, enter "hello world" for the search term without the quotes, change to Any, select Personals and then Women Seeking Men. Click Search and you should see the error.

Invalid search option
Bad value for subcat: It can only be 3 characters long and it must be in lowercase.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat May 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. Looks like we updated our validation yesterday and accidentally set craigslist subcats as needing to be all letters, so any cat with a number in it (like w4m) fails. Will have it fixed momentarily. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again for letting us know!

shubido

Post by shubido » Sat May 13, 2017 1:41 pm

That's exactly the error I'm getting ... Could you please post a reply once it's fixed. SearchTempest is so helpful to me ... I really appreciate all you guys do!!

shubido

Post by shubido » Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 pm

I am attempting to search "women seeking men" with key word married and no results within 3500 miles ... No results ... I have tried multiple different searches and no results ... Something is wrong somewhere ... I have done this search 1000 times and always get at least 10-20 posts if not more so 0 is unbelievable ...

ST-Fanboy

Post by ST-Fanboy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Search has returned to working!!! Thanks!!!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat May 13, 2017 5:41 pm

shubido wrote:I am attempting to search "women seeking men" with key word married and no results within 3500 miles ... No results ... I have tried multiple different searches and no results ... Something is wrong somewhere ... I have done this search 1000 times and always get at least 10-20 posts if not more so 0 is unbelievable ...
So, the problem here is that unlike Google, Bing doesn't allow us to filter on the URL. So all we can do is search for the category name (w4m) and then filter out any results that aren't actually IN that category, but instead just happen to have that word somewhere in the posts. Unfortunately, in the case of w4m, that tends to be basically all of them. So our search gets back a bunch of stuff from Bing that isn't in the category you specified, and we end up with nothing to show you.

We're looking into whether there's some kind of workaround for this. In the meantime, I would highly recommend trying our Direct Results option, which you can read about here:
https://support.searchtempest.com/hc/en ... ectresults

shubido

Post by shubido » Thu May 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Is Google search not working at all ... I am just getting Bing results ...

Just checking in to see if/when Google will be returned to this site...
Last edited by shubido on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.