New Version FAILS Users Sadly but theres Hope

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
bringbackoldsearchtempest

New Version FAILS Users Sadly but theres Hope

Post by bringbackoldsearchtempest » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:56 pm

I've been using Searchtempest for years and even though I was hopeful for this new version and 100% sure your team spent a tremendous amount of work..

The old way of being able to Search all 50 states on one page was PERFECT.

I hope your team continues to innovate and finds someway around the Google rules in the near future. You're asking way to much from users to click on each page and then have to sift through results

I implore you to not get comfortable with this current version and somehow find a way to bring back the old way of Searching, The force is with you

Thank you for everything, Happy Holidays and Viva La ST

Down with Algorithms & Google Captcha

Thank you for reading

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: New Version FAILS Users Sadly but theres Hope

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:53 pm

It's unlikely the old version will be able to come back as is. On the plus side, the new Direct Results option, unlike the old Google-powered results won't miss anything, or have any delays.

You might try playing with the 'Group results by' option in the new Direct Results; you may prefer one of the other options. We'll also be adding an 'open all' option soon, which should speed things up.

Post by bringbackoldsearchtempest » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Thank you for the prompt response, This is terrible news that I hope isn't true

Group Results as in --> Preferences --> Combined Results only show about 5-10 results

My best combination to truly get all results possible is Direct Results and Grouping by State

but this has turned out to be a heavily tasking process compared to previously just Searching putting the distance on "any" and getting a list of results that was the perfect amount, I knew I wasn't getting everything but I was receiving just enough of the results I needed.

I look forward to seeing your new iterations as I've been a faithful ST user for years and just recently felt compelled to share my voice due to these drastic changes, I remember in August when the site was going through issues and your team was able to bring it back, I'm hoping something happens similar in the near future

Also, something I hear all the time that is really annoying to friends I referred the site to including myself is the amount of times we get prompted to enter RECAPTCHA I understand having to prove your not a bot but every single time? it's out of hand and it's not just checking the box BUT then you have to match 2 pictures, every single time.. IF there was anyway to limit this that would be OUTSTANDING as well

EDIT: I understand this is Craigslist issue regarding RECAPTCHA I just wish there was a way around this

Thanks for taking time to read this once again

Cheers

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:28 pm

> Group Results as in --> Preferences --> Combined Results only show about 5-10 results

No, I mean within Direct Results, above the results there is an option to "Group results by", with the choices: area, state, or city. I expect you already found that though, since you mentioned that you found grouping by state works best.

I am curious about that though - I would think that by 'area' would be best in most cases, as it allows you to go through all the results with as few clicks as possible. Do you mind sharing why you prefer by state?

Regarding bringing the old style results back, we'll do our best. The problem is that it isn't a technical issue this time, but a policy one. Google has actually contacted us to say that they feel that implementation violates their policy of not modifying users' search queries. I've tried to argue that we're not modifying the user's query, but simply using the same query for each site, but so far haven't managed to get agreement. I will keep trying, but unless I can change their minds, I will have to comply with their policies.

That said, even if we did bring back the old results, I would recommend the new Direct Results for most users. With it set to group by area, there are only 20 separate pages to look through to cover the entire country, and unlike Google results, they are completely up to date with no results missing. We'll also be adding an 'open all' button to save clicking on each one.

jaguar36

Post by jaguar36 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:44 am

I understand that the great old way is gone and out of your control, but the new direct results way is awful too.

The area grouping, at least for my location (NJ) is bizarre and not very useful. It groups Delaware, PA together, but then throws in Ohio too. New York and NJ are a separate area, and so are New England, and then DC/Virgina too. That means if I want to get all the results in a reasonable driving distance I need to go to four different areas. Even doing this I still am missing some spots (like South Jersey) which isn't in any area.

Post by bringbackoldsearchtempest » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:22 am

I prefer by State because when I matched up the results I was receiving it felt more organized but I will toggle with the Area option a few more times

So it can still be done but you have to change your development based on Google demands regarding the user? I understand and that sucks if there are rules preventing us from a alternative experience that I feel was the very best what if we had a click on agreement that said we agreed to you modifying search queries or what have you so they may allow us our old search back

We'll also be adding an 'open all' button to save clicking on each one.

'Open all' as in open all the links on the page results? If so I'd rather go through a checkbox next to each result and clicking the bulk I'd want to open all at the same time that way I could get the results I felt were Ad's I needed to be addressing compared opening everything and getting unwanted ones

Thanks for the info!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:50 pm

jaguar36 wrote:The area grouping, at least for my location (NJ) is bizarre and not very useful. It groups Delaware, PA together, but then throws in Ohio too. New York and NJ are a separate area, and so are New England, and then DC/Virgina too. That means if I want to get all the results in a reasonable driving distance I need to go to four different areas. Even doing this I still am missing some spots (like South Jersey) which isn't in any area.
The reason for this is that each area is limited (by craigslist) in how many cities it can include. So we can't just lump everything together. The ones we chose are designed to cover the country using as few links as possible, which is why some of them are a bit strange, covering multiple states. We do also have the state grouping option though, if you prefer to keep things organized by state, but of course that will mean more links to go through. Perhaps the 'open all' option will help.
bringbackoldsearchtempest wrote:So it can still be done but you have to change your development based on Google demands regarding the user? I understand and that sucks if there are rules preventing us from a alternative experience that I feel was the very best what if we had a click on agreement that said we agreed to you modifying search queries or what have you so they may allow us our old search back
So far Google has just said, "You can't do this." I've tried to explain that it's something we're doing for our users, to give them the most relevant results for their searches. I firmly believe that the stacked mode follows the spirit of their policies. And I have offered to give them user testimonials or whatever they need to demonstrate this. Ultimately though, I'll need them to agree. If they say "don't", and we do it anyway, they'll just turn off our access.
bringbackoldsearchtempest wrote: 'Open all' as in open all the links on the page results? If so I'd rather go through a checkbox next to each result and clicking the bulk I'd want to open all at the same time that way I could get the results I felt were Ad's I needed to be addressing compared opening everything and getting unwanted ones
This isn't an option to open all listings; its an option to open all of the Direct Results links, each of which goes to a results page covering a number of craigslist cities in your selected area. So it makes sense that you would want to view all of them. If you don't, you can always click the ones you want to open individually. Or, on the main search page, you have an option to not just search by zip code and distance, but to pick and choose exactly the states and cities you want to include in your search. Then the groups shown on the Direct Results page will be the same, but they will only include the cities you specified.

Post by bringbackoldsearchtempest » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 pm

I started searching in the Area instead of States and the only thing I wish I was able to do was search within a amount of selected days. Right now I can only search today and everything. Is there anyway we can get the select amount of days back?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:33 pm

bringbackoldsearchtempest wrote:I started searching in the Area instead of States and the only thing I wish I was able to do was search within a amount of selected days. Right now I can only search today and everything. Is there anyway we can get the select amount of days back?
Unfortunately, no. Since the Direct Results opens results pages straight from craigslist, we can only support the options that they do. We have no access to the results themselves, so no way to do additional filtering.

Post by bringbackoldsearchtempest » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Wow, so it's either you need todays result or get every results ever posted in the last 30 days... that's a hindrance

Can't wait to see any updates in the near future to this current version and really hope Google allows the old searchtempest back. This current version while better then nothing is lightyears away from our old experience
Last edited by bringbackoldsearchtempest on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.