IP Blocked on Criagslist?

Having trouble? Something not working as it should? Look here.
leatherlips

IP Blocked on Criagslist?

Post by leatherlips » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:26 am

I was wondering if using Search Tempest to search Craigslist could get my IP address blocked? i have not been posting on craigslist, only have been searching.

Are there rules I should be following when using search Tempest so not to get blocked?

WIll the block be lifted after a certain amount of time?

Thanks!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: IP Blocked on Criagslist?

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

As far as I know, craigslist has no way of knowing whether you are using SearchTempest, so it should not directly cause your IP address to be blocked. I expect the blocks occur based on clicking a certain number of ads in a given time period, so if you were clicking through to a lot of items that might explain it. From what I've read, it happens at least as much to regular craigslist users as to SearchTempest users. (If you google "craigslist ip address blocked" you'll find a ton of posts.) As I understand it, the blocks are automatically removed after a period of time, although I'm not sure how long. Easier would probably be to get a new IP address. You can usually do that by unplugging your router and cable/dsl modem at night, then plugging them back in in the morning.

leatherlips

Post by leatherlips » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Thank you, I'll give the IP renewal a try tonight.

cornibennet

Post by cornibennet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Same thing has happened to me. I usually search craigslist via searchtempest everyday, and I open results from every state. Maybe I will have to wait a week or so? I work in a medium sized office so I can not just unplug the router or anything like that. I will wait it out and see what happens