Direct Results mode not showing all search results

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
jjrock5

Direct Results mode not showing all search results

Post by jjrock5 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 am

Hi, I noticed that I'm not getting all search results as if I used Craigslist directly. For example searching for trucks and I don't get all results. I use my iPhone for searching. I use the Direct Results Mode then click on the City Index links for individual cities. I'm using this search string:
(Powerstroke|(power stroke)|duramax|cummins|7.3|6.5|(chevy|chevrolet|ford|silverado|sierra|gmc|dodge|f250|f350 diesel|deisel|diezel|disel|dizel))

My price range is $500 to $8000. I have the settings as seen below:

I click to search Boston Craigslist and I do get a bunch of results but noticed this ad below was missing and who knows how many others:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4902577490.html

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Direct Results mode not showing all search results

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:27 am

I *think* the problem is the 7.3 and 6.5, although that's a guess. I believe that craigslist treats the . as a space, so your search actually looks something like this:

(Powerstroke|(power stroke)|duramax|cummins|7) (3|6) (5|(chevy|chevrolet|ford|silverado|sierra|gmc|dodge|f250|f350 diesel|deisel|diezel|disel|dizel))

And so it will obviously miss many things. You could try this instead:

(Powerstroke|(power stroke)|duramax|cummins|"7.3"|"6.5"|(chevy|chevrolet|ford|silverado|sierra|gmc|dodge|f250|f350 diesel|deisel|diezel|disel|dizel))

If that's not it then I'm not 100% sure, although my guess would be that the nested parentheses are confusing it. You could try this:

Powerstroke|"power stroke"|duramax|cummins|"7.3"|"6.5"|(chevy|chevrolet|ford|silverado|sierra|gmc|dodge|f250|f350 diesel|deisel|diezel|disel|dizel)

And if that still doesn't work, try narrowing down the keywords until the results make sense, then build them back up until you find the culprit. One thing I can assure you though, is if you go directly to the boston craigslist and enter exactly the same keywords and other parameters, you'll find you get the same results, because effectively that's all our Direct mode does - it passes your search parameters straight through to craigslist, just as if you'd typed them in yourself.

jjrock5

Re: Direct Results mode not showing all search results

Post by jjrock5 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:34 am

I tried the first search string you suggested and the missing ad came up so I think it's working now. Thank you for the quick response.