Advanced Keywords Not Working

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
mossalot

Advanced Keywords Not Working

Post by mossalot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 am

If I use the search tempest sample keywords of "refridgerator|refrigerator|fridge cream|beige" and then use the same keywords on nashville.craigslist.org, the search tempest results are producing more than 3x the results of the actual nashville.craigslist.org search. Something is not filtering properly.

Should be easy to test and replicate. Punch those exact keywords into search tempest and then punch it into any craigslist city.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Keywords Not Working

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 pm

As far as I can tell SearchTempest is returning correct results for that search. You're not putting quotes around the keywords in your actual search, right? (That was just for showing them here?) Is it possible that the extra posts you're seeing are ones that have been deleted, as explained here? http://www.searchtempest.com/help/general#deleted

Unfortunately we're not able to actually run the search on craigslist to compare results. In an abundance of caution, to make sure we can keep the site up and running long term, we avoid visiting craigslist ourselves for any reason (so that we don't run any risk of infringing on their rights). We get all necessary info for maintaining the site from public third parties like Google.

mossalot

Post by mossalot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:28 pm

No I am not searching with the quotes around the search keywords. Maybe searchtempest.com is showing the deleted results. I just can't believe there are 31 nashville.craigslist.org results and close to 100 searchtempest.com results. 69 extra deleted results is a lot of fluff.

Here is a screenshot of the nashville.craigslist.org results: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/czngxkxy8jau ... zbzCa?dl=0
Here's the screenshot of the searchtempest.com results for the bottom of Nashville in the combined results mode: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/czngxkxy8jau ... zbzCa?dl=0

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:53 pm

FYI both those links point to your whole temp folder on dropbox; you might want to edit this post. I think I saw the ones you meant though.

I think maybe the main difference is that not all those five pages on SearchTempest are actually there. Much like when you do a search on Google itself, the page numbers are only an estimate. You might start flipping through them and find the number decreases from 5 to 3 or even 2 (as in this case). Unfortunately that behavior comes from Google (our source for the results), so we don't have any control over it. We would have to write code to flip through all the pages for every city in order to get the accurate number, which would be too resource-intensive on browsers (and would likely violate their terms of use as well).

mossalot

Post by mossalot » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:20 am

Yeah that was it. Most of the 5 pages of results disappear once I click on the second page.