Question About Results

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
FourtyCaliber

Question About Results

Post by FourtyCaliber » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I have just used Searchtempest for the first time in a while. I performed a search, as I always do, for my state of Ohio and my neighboring state of Michigan.

I use the mode where the cities are listed in the left window and the results are shown in the right window as I click on each city.

Today, when I was looking at the list of cities for Ohio and Michigan, I noticed that they were all together. I remember the last time I was on SearchTempest that there was a "break" between the Ohio cities and the Michigan cities. Now the cities for the two states are just lumped together in one long list.

How come this is like this now? It was much better when the Ohio cities and Michigan cities (or any other state's cities) were placed under their respective state headers. I see no logic for changing this.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Question About Results

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:18 pm

That's the "Direct Results" mode. It has never had headings for the states though. You might be thinking of waaaaay back (like 3+ years) when the site still used iframes. At that point, if you manually chose states to search, if I recall correctly, it did have a list with state headings.

The main reason we don't now, is that by default the results are sorted by distance from you, not by state (although obviously you'll mostly get cities in your home state first, unless you're near a border). Since this results in the states being mixed up a bit, it doesn't make sense to have headings. If you prefer things grouped by state though, you can still do that by choosing "State" from the "Sort by" dropdown in the left-hand window. (It still won't have headings, since it didn't make sense to put together a separate layout for that single case, but it will list all the cities in the closest state first, then the next-closest, etc.)

FourtyCaliber

Re: Question About Results

Post by FourtyCaliber » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I don't think it was three years ago. I at least remember a "break" in between where the Ohio cities ended and the Michigan cities began.