Help with search routine

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
Cobra_66

Help with search routine

Post by Cobra_66 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:28 am

Can someone please help me when I make a search routine for a group of Motorcycle Trailers I get no results.
Here is a list of Key word I use
Motorcycle Trailer | Blackhawk Motorcycle Trailer | Discovery Motorcycle Trailer
Legacy Motorcycle Trailer | Legacy Motorcycle Trailer | Heritage Motorcycle Trailer | Black Widow Tow Behind Motorcycle Trailer | Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailers
Also
Fiberglass Motorcycle Trailers |Tow Behind Fiberglass Motorcycle Trailers |Trailers for Motorcycles |Bushtec |zephyr |CM2000 |Cycle Mate |Pull Behind | -rail -utility
-Dump -R & J

If someone can show me how to do this the right way it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help
Jeff

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Help with search routine

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:59 am

Cobra_66 wrote:Can someone please help me when I make a search routine for a group of Motorcycle Trailers I get no results.
Here is a list of Key word I use
Motorcycle Trailer | Blackhawk Motorcycle Trailer | Discovery Motorcycle Trailer
Legacy Motorcycle Trailer | Legacy Motorcycle Trailer | Heritage Motorcycle Trailer | Black Widow Tow Behind Motorcycle Trailer | Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailers
Also
Fiberglass Motorcycle Trailers |Tow Behind Fiberglass Motorcycle Trailers |Trailers for Motorcycles |Bushtec |zephyr |CM2000 |Cycle Mate |Pull Behind | -rail -utility
-Dump -R & J

If someone can show me how to do this the right way it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

The problem is that the | character, which means OR, only applies to the words on either side of it. So for example, when you write this:
legacy motorcycle trailer | heritage motorcycle trailer

you're looking for something that has the words
legacy AND motorcycle AND trailer-or-heritage AND motorcycle AND trailer

So your search ends up having to match all words, which isn't what you want. What you can do is use quoted phrases, like this:

"legacy motorcycle trailer" | "heritage motorcycle trailer"

That should work as expected, however it will only match if the words are in the right order, so if there are different possible orders you'll have to use both. Also, Google (which powers our search) only supports up to around 30 words total, so you'll need to cut it down. Most likely you'll want to split into two searches.

Couple more things to note though. In your first list, you have "motorcycle trailer", or a bunch of other phrases that include motorcycle trailer. There's no point in that, since anything that includes motorcycle trailer will already be matched. So you could replace almost everything there with just a search for motorcycle trailer.

Also, at the end of the list, you have an OR |, then a few negative keywords. So you're saying you want one of the things before, OR you want a result that doesn't have those words at the end. Again I don't think that's what you actually want. And finally, this: -R & J, theoretically matches anything that includes the letter J, but not the letter R. I expect what you mean is -"R & J"

Hope that helps! In general, I would suggest starting with something simple that works, then add to it gradually. That way if things start going wrong, you'll know it was the most recent change that did it.

Cobra_66

Re: Help with search routine

Post by Cobra_66 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks Nathan,
I'm trying a lot of variations some work some don't I'll keep trying.
Thanks Again
Jeff