Filter function not working

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
scotteave

Re: Filter function not working

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 pm

but.....not consistent......some searches with numbers in date filter, work....others don't......

something has changed in last few weeks to render this search tool less valuable and reliable.

gremlins....

funny I really rely on this for a business and when it is down, costs me a lot of time......and lost opportunity.

oh well.

I can use other searches, but SearchTemest has the best sort and filter components....when they work.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 pm

I think it's largely random. I tested both with and without a days filter and it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I expect one of their servers is returning bad data and it's luck of the draw whether you hit it or not. Anyway, I filed a bug report and they actually tend to be pretty quick to respond to those, so we'll see.

Edit: Like I said, the Best Match sort option is powered by Yahoo, and this is a bug on their end. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to fix it, beyond reporting it to them. However, the other sort options are powered by Google, so should continue to work fine, as should our Direct Results mode.

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 am

still not workimg.....

CourtDemone

Post by CourtDemone » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 pm

HI Scott!

Nathan's out for the week, so I'll be helping you out. Like Nathan said before, the Best Match sort is powered by Yahoo. Since the issue's on their end, there's not much we can do other than ask them to fix it, which we have. Hopefully they're on it and will have a fix soon!

Cheers,

Court

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 pm

thx....

just wanted to keep ya posted.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am

Thanks Steve. I'm back now and have sent a follow-up to Yahoo. Hopefully they'll get it taken care of soon, but at least we have the Google-powered stuff until then.

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:08 pm

interesting.....been over 2 wks since this got reported to Yahoo and still no fix.

it is so random.....at times 'best results' (my preferred filter) seems to net good results then not so.....and no pattern to what triggers the snafu.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Just got a response from Yahoo with a work-around we can use to hopefully avoid this problem. It will take some time to develop, but hopefully we'll have something in place soon now!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:35 pm

OK, I've implemented the work-around suggested by yahoo, and the results appear significantly better. There are still occasional posts sneaking through that don't have the desired keywords in the title, but not nearly as many as before. If you get a chance, please check back and let me know how it's working for you!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 pm

That said, Yahoo doesn't seem to be doing a great job of finding all the postings. I would suggest sticking to the other sort options for now, since Google seems to be picking things up well.