Filter function not working

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
scotteave

Filter function not working

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 pm

is it just me or has the filter function stopped working ?

specifically, the 'titles only' function does not work. sometimes I get results that don't include my search keyword in the title, then again if I turn that filter off, sometimes I only get results with a select keyword in the title.

been going on for a few wks now.

I have cleared my cache many times....no luck.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Filter function not working

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 pm

It seems to be working properly for me. Are you using the default results mode, powered by Google, or did you switch to the "Direct Results" mode? Can you send me the link to your results page? (You can paste it here or email it via our contact page.) Thanks!

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Oh, dear god, don't use the beta link.. ;) we're not running a beta right now, so that's probably woefully out of date. I'll change it to redirect to the main site...

"Best results" - do you mean you changed the primary sort order to "Best Match", so it shows everything in a single list instead of separated by city?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Anyway, assuming you're using the Google-powered results, your keyword string is a bit messed up. It prioritizes OR above AND (which if you've studied math will probably irritate you as it does me), so what this string of keywords gives you is in fact,

ews
AND
(arion | malekko | jhs | menatone | catalinbread | trombetta | barbershop | skreddy | subdecay | earthquaker | lovepedal | scientist | earth)
AND
(quaker | fuchs | analogman | keeley | cmatmods | professor | xotic | timmy | budda | zvex | blackstone | sib | bearfoot | strymon)

Which is probably not what you want. I would suggest putting the phrases in quotes, like so:

"ews arion" | malekko | jhs | menatone | catalinbread | trombetta | barbershop | skreddy | subdecay | earthquaker | lovepedal | scientist | "earth quaker" | fuchs | analogman | keeley | cmatmods | professor | xotic | timmy | budda | zvex | blackstone | sib | bearfoot | strymon

That should work. I wasn't able to reproduce your problem with ads showing up that don't have any of those terms in the title though.

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 pm

try this and see if you get only ads with 'lovepedal' in the title.....does not work properly for me.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?sea ... subcat=msa

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 pm

scotteave wrote:try this and see if you get only ads with 'lovepedal' in the title.....does not work properly for me.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?sea ... subcat=msa
OK, yes, it looks like there's a bug on Yahoo's end. I will file a bug report with them. In the meantime, I would suggest switching to one of the other sort modes, which are powered by Google. (If you don't want to enter a zip code, you can switch to sort by: "none", but it might be more useful to put your zip in the search form and then sort by distance.)

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 pm

thx

scotteave

Post by scotteave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm

looks like the "within last # days" function may be involved. when I run that empty, the title filter appears to work. if I enter 10 or few days in the box, the title filter does not work.

I just realized the # of days has been increased to 10. I never had that problem when it was 9 days, or less.

dunno....