Returns all years

Archived. To ask for help, please use our new help center.
Searcher

Returns all years

Post by Searcher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Starting last week the results returns for CL began returning all years of a model. Tried Combined Results and Direct Results along with the various Sort By options and still get all years. No doubt a change on CL's end since Oodle and Auto Trader still seem to work normally. Unfortunately the junk I look at has very little to no representation on those sites. Any ideas? That is, other than looking for newer stuff, lol. Oh and Firefox 27.0.1 btw.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Returns all years

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:11 pm

What, you mean you think you know better than us what years you should search? ;)

I just took a look and it appears to be working correctly. The tricky thing is, by default we use Google to search craigslist. Google doesn't know anything about the year parameter; it can just search for keywords. So if you search for, say, 1985 to 1990, we just tell google to look for the word 1985 OR 1986 OR 1987 OR 1988 OR 1989 OR 1990. However, that means if those words appear anywhere in the ad, it will come up, even if it's not the actual year of the car. (Like say... "1984 Fiero. New engine in 1990, 1995, and 2002!" Would come up even if you were searching for the mythical 2000-2004 Fiero. :D)

Could that be what's happening? If not, please fire me an email with the link to your results page, and I'll check out your specific search to see if there's something else going on there.

Searcher

Re: Returns all years

Post by Searcher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 pm

Yeah, naw I've seen that sort of thing before of course. The occasional phone number, and, the bane of all, keyword lists sometimes makes it take a second to figure out how that ad managed to come up but there's usually a reason when you think about it. Still that sort of thing is a minority. What I'm talking about it every CL board everywhere coughing up all the model years of a car available on that board even though a year range was specified. Needless to say that makes for some really long results lists lol. Sometimes multiple pages per city. Anyway I'll fire off an email with a search results link here in a minute