RSS feeds and -excluded -terms

Having trouble? Something not working as it should? Look here.
StudeLover

RSS feeds and -excluded -terms

Post by StudeLover » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:12 am

I have been using RSS feeds for a while loaded from an SearchTempest .opml file, and I understand how they link directly to CL,
however, lately I have tried using exclusions in my searches on ST. The trouble is converting those search terms to properly formatted xmURLs.
If I search for "39 Studebaker" all is good, and I can get good results in my RSS feeds. It forms the xmURL:

Code: Select all

http://klamath.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=39+Studebaker&catAbb=sss&sort=date&format=rss
However, a search for "39 Studebaker -toys -posters -coins -brochures" forms the following xmURL in the feed:

Code: Select all

xmlUrl="http://klamath.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=39+%7C+Studebaker+-toys+-coins+-posters+-brochures&catAbb=sss&sort=date&format=rss"
This seems to load unfiltered results from that CL site, rather than anything to do with Studebaker.
If you look at the results of that URL in a browser, it seems to pass "39 | Studebaker -toys -coins -posters -brochures" on to CL. Notice the addition of the pipe character.
I am fairly sure this is related to how my search is entered and the subsequent formatting of the url string. What am I doing wrong?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: RSS feeds and -excluded -terms

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:18 am

Hmm, the %7C in your xmlUrl is an encoded pipe character, so that part makes sense. I'm not sure why it would be appearing in the URL if it's not in your keywords though. I just tried running a search with those exact words, "39 Studebaker -toys -posters -coins -brochures," and it didn't get a pipe character inserted. Can you double-check that there's no pipe in your original keywords?

Also, just FYI, craigslist is pretty literal with keywords, so when you filter out, ie "-toys", it will only remove posts with the word "toys" in it, not ones with the word "toy". Probably makes sense to drop the 's' on all of those. Also, rather than filtering out a bunch of words, it might be simpler to search in the cars and trucks category, assuming you're searching for the actual car.

Hope that helps!

StudeLover

Post by StudeLover » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

Well, I feel so stupid now. I tried it again and it worked - no pipe character, and the terms were passed correctly.
Let me just take this opportunity to say ST is a marvelous tool, and thanks a lot.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm

StudeLover wrote:Well, I feel so stupid now. I tried it again and it worked - no pipe character, and the terms were passed correctly.
Let me just take this opportunity to say ST is a marvelous tool, and thanks a lot.
No worries! Gave me a chance to pass on some tips. Good luck in your search!