Google reader alternative

Talk about Searchtempest, life, the universe, and everything...
XXXXXXXX

Google reader alternative

Post by XXXXXXXX » Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 am

So does anyone have any suggestions for a reader to use that is similar to google reader? I have tried several other readers but non of them so far can hold a candle to google reader. The others I have tried seem to have limited ability to organize multiple rss feeds in different folders.... I have about 20 folders all with different search terms from craigslist. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reader to replace google reader?

Thanks X

XXXXXXXX

Re: Google reader alternative

Post by XXXXXXXX » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 am

Also if you dont already know... google reader is going to be shut down by google in a month.

X

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 pm

The best free alternative at the moment appears to be Feedly. Its only downside that I can see is that it requires a browser add-on and doesn't support Internet Explorer. I certainly don't recommend anyone use Internet Explorer, given the superior free options in Chrome and Firefox, but some don't have the choice in work environments.

Newsblur appears to be a good option if you don't mind paying a low annual fee.

There are also companies that have been working on new readers since Google announced the shutdown (notably Digg), so there should be other alternatives soon. We have until the beginning of July to switch, so I'm waiting until then to make an official recommendation.

XXXXXXXX

Post by XXXXXXXX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Just wondering where we are at with this?? i have feedly and its great but.... you cant import Ompl or what ever they are to feedly. Let me explain... you can import your google reader info that is already set up in google wiht the ompl file.... and mine works fine.

Here is the problem... when I go to do a new search in search tempest..and export the opml file... there is no way to import that to feedly. Feedly says they dont support it. So what is the alternative as i have some new searches I want to do coming up in a few weeks.

Thanks X

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 pm

At the moment, the workaround is to import the opml into Google Reader, then from there into Feedly. However obviously that will only work for a couple more days. Feedly is planning to add opml support very soon, but I don't knowif that means by next week. It may be necessary to find a stopgap in the meantime. Feedly supports a number of different clients, so maybe one of them can be used for opml import. I'm planning to look into it this weekend and update the instructions under the Feeds link on the results page.

XXXXXXXX

Post by XXXXXXXX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:39 pm

So... did you come up with a solution? Someplace I can import the opml file?

Thanks X

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:40 am

Unfortunately, no. Anything I found that could import OPMLs in a timely matter and display feeds in a useful format for our purposes was self-hosted and would require a bit of effort to set up. (If that's ok with you, I would suggest checking out Tiny Tiny RSS.) However, Feedly is planning to release OPML import functionality within a few days I believe, so unless you really really need it now, I would suggest simply waiting until then, and using SearchTempest directly in the meantime.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 am

Ah, good news! Looks like Feedly literally just added the OPML import function! You can find it in the menu on the left side of the screen, at http://cloud.feedly.com (once you create and/or log into your account).

I'll look into it and update the instructions on SearchTempest.com asap.

XXXXXXXX

Post by XXXXXXXX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 am

Ya it doesnt work... sucks... it says import opml...but if you read the fine print... it says that you can only import your google reader xml file... so when i tried to load a new search from here and upload that opml file into feedly... it gives me a 404 error.. are you getting the same thing?

Also when you import with them.. there is no way to set up a folder structure.. i thinks its only a way to import google reader opml files in the xml file.

Let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks X

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 am

Hmm, that's odd. I've tested their OPML import myself and it works. I just finished updating the instructions and am about to update them on our site.
You're right that there's no easy way to move everything into a folder on Feedly... but, Feedly supports specifying folders right in the OPML file, so new OPML files downloaded from SearchTempest will do that. The resulting procedure should actually be a fair bit simpler than it was with Reader.

Give me a few minutes to give the code a once-over and put it live, then try downloading a new opml.

Edit: Actually, it's going to be a few more than a few minutes since there's some other code waiting to go live that I need to test first. Should have it up tonight though. Edit 2: OK, done!