not getting results

Archived. You can get help or offer suggestions about AutoTempest here.
bonjonno

not getting results

Post by bonjonno » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 am

hi Nathan. I've been with u for a long time thru many iterations of the software. seems each time is like starting over. Now no matter what I do, I can only get about 10 results for my search which normally yields hundreds (2000 mile radius). I've switched the display page to show 50 results per page. Doesn't matter. Only one page of ten results. And it takes so long sometimes I just move on. Using Opera browser of a very recent vintage. Cannot upgrade to the newest w/o many more problems. Just sayin.

bonjonno

Re: not getting results

Post by bonjonno » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:21 pm

deleted all my searchtempest cookies and started from scratch. I search a specific item in ALL CITIES within 2000 miles. After a minute or two of "loading" I get this
Error accessing Google custom search. Please refresh the page to try again, or temporarily switch back to the Craigs Results tab to get results straight from craigslist.

Problem w/ Craigs Results is that they come in one city at atime and are virtually useless to me. No matter how much I refresh or search, same thing. So in effect the new searchtempest is a zero for me. Hope u get it working again because I've come to rely on it.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:41 pm

bonjonno wrote:deleted all my searchtempest cookies and started from scratch. I search a specific item in ALL CITIES within 2000 miles. After a minute or two of "loading" I get this
Error accessing Google custom search. Please refresh the page to try again, or temporarily switch back to the Craigs Results tab to get results straight from craigslist.

Problem w/ Craigs Results is that they come in one city at atime and are virtually useless to me. No matter how much I refresh or search, same thing. So in effect the new searchtempest is a zero for me. Hope u get it working again because I've come to rely on it.
Unfortunately the All Cities format relies on a Google Custom Search, and for some reason it appears there has been a problem on their end the past couple of days. Usually if you refresh a couple of times it will come up, but not always. Hopefully they get it sorted out soon.

If there were something I could do to fix it, I would, but the problem is on their end. I will keep on it though, just in case I can find a work-around. Sorry the other format doesn't work for you. For some searches it's great, but if you're trying to search a very large area I agree that the All Cities method is faster.

bonjonno

Post by bonjonno » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks Nathan. I've tried w/o good results for what seems like two weeks to a month. Don't know for sure. Really miss the system. Is there a way to get the font bigger when results do come in? It's tiny compared to how it used to be.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:05 pm

It shouldn't be any different, unless you're using a phone to browse. You could always zoom the page I suppose. (CTRL + mousewheel, then CTRL-0 to set back to normal)

bonjonno

Post by bonjonno » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:38 pm

not so. it's totally different than it used to be. My default browser font is 9pt Tahoma and the search results come back as something more like 6 pt. so does the text I'm typing right now. Tho the main search page looks exactly like it always has. If I google directly it looks normal. Strangely I finally got a result for All Cities just now but there are like 90% errors. I'm searching (in sub category musical instruments)
yamaha custom -sax, -keyboard, -machine, -electric, -digital, -electronic, -saxophone, -stage, -guitar, -trumpet
which usually comes up mostly the kind of drums I'm looking for but these results are mostly anything but drums. A shame.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Hmm.. I honestly don't know.. these forums are a stock phpBB forum, completely separate from the rest of Searchtempest, so I can't see any reason why your fonts would be smaller in both locations unless it's something changed in your browser settings. Does it affect any other websites? Have you tried CTRL-0 (zero) to set zoom back to default?

What web browser are you using?

bonjonno

Post by bonjonno » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 am

Opera browser. zoom is at 100%. I'm going to forget about it for now and check back in a month or so. Cheers.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:04 pm

bonjonno wrote:Opera browser. zoom is at 100%. I'm going to forget about it for now and check back in a month or so. Cheers.
Just tested in Opera and it looks right. Make sure you have the latest version. If so, you could try uninstalling, restarting, then reinstalling Opera. Actually, first if you have any addons or extensions installed, try disabling them first. (Temporarily to see if one is causing problems.)

Also, can you open it up in IE or Safari (whatever's your default browser) and see if it looks right there? Finally, a screenshot might give me a clue as to what's going on.