Craigslist Searches

Archived. You can get help or offer suggestions about AutoTempest here.
kennyw

Craigslist Searches

Post by kennyw » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 pm

When searching for "Chevrolet" on Craigslist, it would be helpful if your search engine automatically used common variations like "Chevy" and "Chev" as well. A simple or variable would work nicely. Chevrolet works fine for sites like Ebay and Autotrader where the person is forced to used the drop down box and select from a predefined list... but Chevrolet is not a common word used in ads on Craigslist. I use "(Chevrolet|Chevy|Chev)" to get them all.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Craigslist Searches

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:12 pm

kennyw wrote:When searching for "Chevrolet" on Craigslist, it would be helpful if your search engine automatically used common variations like "Chevy" and "Chev" as well. A simple or variable would work nicely. Chevrolet works fine for sites like Ebay and Autotrader where the person is forced to used the drop down box and select from a predefined list... but Chevrolet is not a common word used in ads on Craigslist. I use "(Chevrolet|Chevy|Chev)" to get them all.
Good idea.. there is a plan in motion to do that for model names, but I hadn't considered for makes as well. I'll definitely plan to add that.
For now, once the search has been run, you can modify the keywords and re-run the craigslist part using the little search box at the top of the Searchtempest/craigslist sub-window.

Thanks!

451cuda

Post by 451cuda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm

In addition to abbreviations people often use on craigslist, many times people don't even use the name of the manufacturer. Or they may misspell the name of the manufacturer or the car model. There are also other ways people refer to a car, such as how fans of the Mitsubishi brand will call their car a DSM, or owners of RX-7's will refer to their car by it's generation - SA, FB, FC, FD, FD3S.

Wouldn't take long to compile a list of common terms used to describe the various models of enthusiast cars, and attach them to the corresponding choice made in the drop down box.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:30 pm

451cuda wrote:In addition to abbreviations people often use on craigslist, many times people don't even use the name of the manufacturer. Or they may misspell the name of the manufacturer or the car model. There are also other ways people refer to a car, such as how fans of the Mitsubishi brand will call their car a DSM, or owners of RX-7's will refer to their car by it's generation - SA, FB, FC, FD, FD3S.

Wouldn't take long to compile a list of common terms used to describe the various models of enthusiast cars, and attach them to the corresponding choice made in the drop down box.
I agree that that would be a great thing. Whenever I come across alternate ways to refer to models I definitely do add them, but there are thousands of models of cars out there. If you would like to put a list together, I'll happy add them.