AutoTempest (aka HanksHelper) Beta Test

Archived. You can get help or offer suggestions about AutoTempest here.
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Hank's Helper Beta Test

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:25 pm

What you're missing is that there is a difference between information that comes from Searchtempest and information that comes from Craigslist. Telling you that there are 82 cities within your search radius does not require access to craigslist, because that information doesn't change. The craigslist cities are always in the same locations.

Each 'Show more' click is not equal to a request. Regardless of how your search is performed, it requires 82 requests to craigslist's servers - one for each city. By breaking it up, I ensure that these do not all occur at the same time. I also guard against people setting their search radius to thousands of miles then only looking at the first few cities.

OldNuc

Post by OldNuc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:23 pm

OK, then that makes sense. I made an assumption on how the data was being extracted.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:14 pm

OldNuc wrote:OK, then that makes sense. I made an assumption on how the data was being extracted.
Cool. Regardless, I hope you continue to find the site useful! :)

OldNuc

Post by OldNuc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Presently the app seems to be functioning just fine. Tends to hang though when Craigslist is slow on returning results. That is probably the result of using FireFox 3.0.15 and Linux.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 pm

OldNuc wrote:Presently the app seems to be functioning just fine. Tends to hang though when Craigslist is slow on returning results. That is probably the result of using FireFox 3.0.15 and Linux.
Perhaps - more likely due to your Java installation though. What version of the JRE are you running? When you say it hangs, what do you mean exactly? I assume you just mean temporarily while it's waiting for results? Do the spinners in the cities keep going? Can you scroll the page?

OldNuc

Post by OldNuc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Ubuntu 8.4 and Java 6.16.0
Just checked again and all works as advertised. Must have been a Craigslist issue as the loading spinners would just whir along forever.

The latest odd behavior is when a particular add is selected and displayed and then closed by clicking teh blue triangle the article link is no longer highlighted.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:39 am

OldNuc wrote:The latest odd behavior is when a particular add is selected and displayed and then closed by clicking teh blue triangle the article link is no longer highlighted.
Odd indeed. works fine for me in FF 3.5. Can you upgrade your 3.0 and see if that fixes the problem?
Also FYI, you can click anywhere on the link to close, not just the triangle.

OldNuc

Post by OldNuc » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:35 am

I have 9.1 installed on an other machine with FF 3.5 as soon as I upgrade it to Sun-Java I will give it a shot and see what happens. It was working and then it just quit on teh 8.4 box. Odd behavior, cause unknown.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 pm

The weird thing is, I have code to change it to the default 'purple' visited color, but no code anywhere to make it blue. (Since un-visiting the link doesn't make sense.) So my assumption would be that something in the Firefox 3.0 javascript engine is seeing that I'm removing the arrow from the end, returning the link to its previous condition, and is not keeping the purple change. Doesn't make sense if it worked in FF3 for you before though.

Hmm.. I suppose I could always work around by making the link purple when the ad is hidden too, but that's added processing (if only a little) that I'd rather not do if it's only FF3/Linux that's seeing the problem. I take it 3.5 isn't available for 8.4?

OldNuc

Post by OldNuc » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:26 pm

FireFox 3.5 has not been moved into the Ubuntu 8.4 repository, and never will be. The idea is that they issue a new version every 6 months with all the usual software in the Ubuntu repository that has been tweaked to play well with that version. FF 3.5 is in 9.1 as default so I will fiddle with that one. This 8.4 release has been severely abused and strange things are to be expected.

What happens is that after a link is selected and then closed it is purple. But when teh program is closed and then reopened later that visited link has reverted to blue. The previous visited links back when it was working are still purple. I do not remember doing anything that should have caused this but 2 days is a long time.

It is not a big issue and I can live with it as is. Next couple of days and I will make the changes in 9.1 and we will see what happens.

I can install a mozilla direct version of FF 3.5 into 8.4 and supposedly it runs just fine. Just not up for getting the profiles copied over and all the permissions and ownership sorted out.