how do i get out of beta

Archived. You can get help or offer suggestions about AutoTempest here.
joeystrongbone

how do i get out of beta

Post by joeystrongbone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:43 pm

I dislike craiglist results for beta

how do I get out so i can search my way

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: how do i get out of beta

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:49 pm

To get out of the autotempest beta, click the 'switch back' link in the footer. However, the craigslist results for both the new and old versions of autotempest are powered by searchtempest, and so will be exactly the same. If you're seeing a difference, please email me via www.searchtempest.com/contact and send me the link to your results page on both the new and old site so I can compare. My guess is that one of your search parameters is slightly different. If not though, you may have found a bug.

Also please note that we will be switching the main AutoTempest site over to the new version within a few days, so the old version won't be accessible for much longer.

joeystrongbone

Post by joeystrongbone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:07 pm

ok i will try but the biggest problem i find or cant find on the newest is allowing 2 digit years for craigslist searches
this cuts the results almost in half

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:15 pm

joeystrongbone wrote:ok i will try but the biggest problem i find or cant find on the newest is allowing 2 digit years for craigslist searches
this cuts the results almost in half
Ah, I see. That option was intentionally removed since we found it was confusing for people and the vast majority of ads contain 4 digit years. What are you searching for? We may look at adding that option back if there are searches that have a lot of two digit years.

joeystrongbone

Post by joeystrongbone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:49 pm

early for broncos 66-77

alot of people selling older cars just use 2 digits

makes autotempest not as good for me bc i am missing cars within 1000 miles I am looking for

for the 1995-up theres not much issue
but for classics whichim sure many use autotempest for its a huge problem

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 pm

OK, thanks, I'll see what we can do. The other part of the problem is that two digit years tend to create a lot of false positives. (There are many more reasons for an ad to contain "50" or "66" or whatever than "1950".) Still, it sounds like it might be worthwhile.

From your experience, are the years generally in the title at least? If we can limit ourselves to searching the title for 2 digit years we should be able to eliminate many of the false positives.

The other problem is that we only have a limited number of keywords to work with. If we include 2 digit years, the range of years you'll be able to search is smaller.

joeystrongbone

Post by joeystrongbone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:03 pm

yes it is generally in the title

I guess there is the occasional "Sweet Bronco for sale"
and it'll say
"selling my 75 bronco"

but that is rare

it is common car collectors refer to there cars in 2 digits years in the titles so it would be beneficial

I noticed this trick after 6months of using autotempest and it doubled my listings and i found the ones using 2 digits were actually better cars and better money

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:08 pm

OK, thanks for the feedback. I'll make some changes today or tomorrow!

joeystrongbone

Post by joeystrongbone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:12 pm

awesome thanks for the quick response

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Alrighty, I think this will be a significant improvement. I've put in a bunch of checks to have it try to do the most intelligent thing in all cases, but basically it searches for 2 digit years in the titles for cars older than 1990. Read on if you want the nitty-gritty details...

If your range of years includes anything before 1990, it will automatically search (in the title of the post) for both the 2 digit and 4 digit version of those years. We are limited in how many keywords to devote though, so it will search a total of 20 year keywords, prioritizing 4 digit years. That means if you search less than a 10 year range, it will search 2 and 4 digit versions of all years. If you search a 15 year range, it will search for the 4 digit year for all 15 years, and use the remaining 5 words to search for two digit years (starting with the newer year). If you search for a range of years larger than 20, it will just return everything (all years), since we figure it's better to show too much than to miss results. You could use our Direct Results mode, which gives you results straight from craigslist in a new window, if you really wanted a year range of more than 20 though.

So for example, if you search the years 1950-1965, it will search all those 4 digit years, as well as 61,62,63,64,65.

Anything newer than 1990 it doesn't bother to search 2 digit years, because the false positives likely won't be worth it. (At that point it would make more sense to switch to Direct Results mode, which sends the year arguments straight to craigslist rather than messing with keywords.)

Finally, I added a couple of hidden options for crazy power users. If you add "&title_years=x" to the end of the searchtempest.com url, where x is a number between 0 and 2, it will change the behavior thusly:

0. Search for all years in the body of the post as well as the title. Will ensure you don't miss anything, but will result in a LOT of false positives, especially with 2 digit years.
1. Search the body of the post for most 4 digit years, but only search in the title for 2 digit years and for recent years (like 2014), since these are the most likely to cause false positives. There will still definitely be some though.
2. (The default for now) - searches the title for 2 and 4 digit years.