Endless loop after clicking search

Archived. You can get help or offer suggestions about AutoTempest here.
ptrmzr

Endless loop after clicking search

Post by ptrmzr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:01 am

When I click the green SEARCH button in either safari or chrome on my iPad the page rotates loading three different pages continuously in an endless loop. This seemed to have started when I tried selecting 'most recent' instead of 'distance'. It seems to work ok on my pc although the results dont seem very up to date(different problem).

Is there a fix for this?
Thanks!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Endless loop after clicking search

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 pm

So these problems are happening just on the craigslist/SearchTempest tab? Can you use the other results tabs (eBay, cars.com, etc.)?

If so, please click this link to clear your SearchTempest autos cookies: http://autos.searchtempest.com/?reset=1

Then try running a search again. It should be set back to the default Distance sort. Does it work? If so, try setting the sort back to Most Recent. Is it broken again?

Thanks for your help tracking down the problem!

ptrmzr

Post by ptrmzr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for your reply. when I opened autotempest today the looping problem went away in safari, but I couldn't change back from most recent. I tried it in chrome and the problem is still there. I went to the link you put up which takes me back to the search tempest page even if I copy and paste the URL into the browser. I clicked on reset search (I couldn't find anything else that looked like resetting cookies) but this didn't solve the problem in chrome. In safari the right side of the page is cut off (it was this way yesterday) so when I try to go from most recent to distance there is no GO button.

This may be a separate problem but I compared the results I do get in autotempest to Craigslists ads and the results in autotempest are always at a least a couple of weeks old and my search in Craigslist turns up many more results.

Thanks again!
Peter

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm

ptrmzr wrote:Hi Nathan,
Thanks for your reply. when I opened autotempest today the looping problem went away in safari, but I couldn't change back from most recent. I tried it in chrome and the problem is still there. I went to the link you put up which takes me back to the search tempest page even if I copy and paste the URL into the browser. I clicked on reset search (I couldn't find anything else that looked like resetting cookies) but this didn't solve the problem in chrome. In safari the right side of the page is cut off (it was this way yesterday) so when I try to go from most recent to distance there is no GO button.

This may be a separate problem but I compared the results I do get in autotempest to Craigslists ads and the results in autotempest are always at a least a couple of weeks old and my search in Craigslist turns up many more results.

Thanks again!
Peter
Going to the link clears cookies; you don't have to do anything else. Once cookies are cleared, you should be back in the default distance sort mode. Is that not the case?

Please also try the troubleshooting steps listed here: www.searchtempest.com/faq.php#noload

Can you send me a screenshot of the screen being cut off in Safari? Safari and Chrome use essentially the same rendering engine, so I can't imagining why they would appear different. Probably a good idea to try those troubleshooting steps in both browsers.

As far as the delay in new ads showing up, the reasons and work-arounds are described here: www.searchtempest.com/faq.php#missing. It shouldn't be a matter of weeks though; more like hours, or days at most. Occasionally there are things missed by Google's index though, so you might be running into that. As it says in the FAQ, the Direct Results mode should get you all the results.