Craiglook

This is where I keep you updated on the latest and greatest stuff!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Craiglook

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Folks!

Some of you may be familiar with the late craiglook.com. It appears they were recently shut down by request of craigslist. There have been some rumors floating around that Searchtempest is likely next, as well as complaints that Searchtempest doesn't have X feature that craiglook did. Hopefully I can clear some of that up, and then you can help me set others straight. :)

See... the two issues are related. Searchtempest operates the way it does in order to avoid infringing on craigslist's copyrights. Essentially searchtempest is just a tool that makes entering your craigslist searches easier. The results pages still go straight from CL to your computer; Searchtempest doesn't see them at all. That means we can't do things like mess with the order of the results, put them all in one list with preview pics, etc. (Although we do offer a single list powered by google - you can find it in the Display Options tab on the results page.) However, it also means that we don't need to scrape craigslist's content, which should allow us to avoid their wrath. And of course, I do my best to make the site as useful/nifty as possible given what I have to work with. :D

As some of you may remember, I also changed the name from craigshelper.com to searchtempest.com some time ago. This eliminates any possible trademark infringement, since the craigshelper name (like craiglook) could cause confusion for some users.

So.. tl;dr: Searchtempest works the way it does in order to respect craigslist's rights. That puts some limits on the features we can offer, but we strive the make the site as useful as possible, and I wholeheartedly believe it is the best of its kind out there. Of course, I'm always working on improving it, and I still welcome feedback - feel free to reply here if it's related, or just post in the suggestions forum!

Cheers,
Tempest Nathan

Dirty Birch

Re: Craiglook

Post by Dirty Birch » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:46 am

I certainly hope you are able to continue. Your site is the only reason I look through CL for stuff. People from my area post in 4 or 5 different cities as we are in no man's land. Without your site CL is much too cumbersome on it's own to find what I am looking for. Thanks for your hard work and diligence!