Problem with XP SP3 and Firefox

This is where I keep you updated on the latest and greatest stuff!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Problem with XP SP3 and Firefox

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Looks like for some reason, the recent MS update of Windows XP to Service Pack 3 has broken Firefox, for some users only. (?)

Anyway, there's a simple fix. Just go to the Tools menu, choose "Clear Private Data", and click only the 'cache' checkbox. Then click "Clear Private Data Now", refresh the page (by pressing the refresh button or F5), and all should work again.

SAmir

Re: Problem with XP SP3 and Firefox

Post by SAmir » Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 am

I tried fixing it using your advice and no luck, any suggestions?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat May 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Hmm.. sounds like you have a different problem.
A couple of possibilities:

1) Are you using the beta of Firefox 3? If so, it has a bug that prevents results from showing up in CraigsHelper (as mentioned in the FAQ). Basically though, until they correct the problem and/or issue a finished release version, it's best to stick to FF2.

2) If you are using Firefox 2, you might have a corrupted cookie file. Try Tools/Clear Private Data and clear your cookies.

If neither of these are it, then write again and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers,
Nathan

hazelir

Post by hazelir » Sat May 30, 2009 2:42 am

How can I get Firefox to remember my login information for some sites? OK I have a few accounts with sites where I have given no sensitive personal information. Every time I open the site they require me to enter my login and password. Is there a way I can get Firefox to log me in automatically without me entering the Login ID or password? I want to do this only for one or two sites, not all. I mean I do not want it to remember my email password or something. Please advise me.
Last edited by hazelir on Sun May 31, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat May 30, 2009 10:44 am

hazelir wrote:How can I get Firefox to remember my login information for some sites? OK I have a few accounts with sites where I have given no sensitive personal information. Every time I open the site they require me to enter my login and password. Is there a way I can get Firefox to log me in automatically without me entering the Login ID or password? I want to do this only for one or two sites, not all. I mean I do not want it to remember my email password or something. Please advise me.
This is way beyond my normal realm, but ok.. Go to tools/options/security. Under passwords, click 'Remember passwords for sites'. Each time you enter a username and password at a site, firefox will ask you whether you want it to remember your password. For the ones you want it to remember, click yes.

Generally sites will remember just your login id automatically. If you don't want them to do that, you have to either not accept cookies for those sites, or have firefox automatically delete your cookies when it's closed. You can do both of these under Tools/options/privacy.