Zip/Distance Mode

This is where I keep you updated on the latest and greatest stuff!

Re: Zip/Distance Mode

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:31 pm

I don't like the change at all. It was nice to have the three or four cities that I check a few times daily and just click the "Next City" button to move on. I tried the new search and it lists the cities on the left side of the screen but doesn't populate the data until you click on the city and either open it in another window or a new tab.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Guest wrote:I don't like the change at all. It was nice to have the three or four cities that I check a few times daily and just click the "Next City" button to move on. I tried the new search and it lists the cities on the left side of the screen but doesn't populate the data until you click on the city and either open it in another window or a new tab.
To change back to choosing cities manually, click the 'Choose states and cities manually' link on the main page.

To switch back to viewing one city at a time, click the 'Options' link at the top-right of the results page, and choose 'Single frame mode'.

Voila!

The only reason it should only be listing links and not opening cities as you describe is if you already opened that options page and chose 'Just generate links'. If you didn't do that, maybe you've run into a bug. But you did, didn't you? ;)

job searching

Post by job searching » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:13 am

Hi,

I think the distance searching is great and would like to see range searching included. For a job search, I'd like to start as close to home as possible (ex: 0-25 miles) and extend outwards as necessary (ex: 25-50 miles).

Range searching came up earlier in this thread and you asked "Do you think it would be useful under the Advanced dialog?" But I didn't see any response(s) - sorry if there was and I missed it.

Personally, I'd include two slider controls on the main page as something like this:

Start distance from <zip code>: <slider control with default set to: 0 miles>
End distance from <zip code>: <slider control with default set to: start value + 25 or 50 miles>

If it needs to be an advance option, then I would define that option such that it makes the two sliders visible on the home page (rather than put either slider itself on the advanced page).

Just my $.02... and thanks for your efforts on this - it is wonderfully useful!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:18 am

job searching wrote:Hi,

I think the distance searching is great and would like to see range searching included. For a job search, I'd like to start as close to home as possible (ex: 0-25 miles) and extend outwards as necessary (ex: 25-50 miles).

Range searching came up earlier in this thread and you asked "Do you think it would be useful under the Advanced dialog?" But I didn't see any response(s) - sorry if there was and I missed it.

Personally, I'd include two slider controls on the main page as something like this:

Start distance from <zip code>: <slider control with default set to: 0 miles>
End distance from <zip code>: <slider control with default set to: start value + 25 or 50 miles>

If it needs to be an advance option, then I would define that option such that it makes the two sliders visible on the home page (rather than put either slider itself on the advanced page).

Just my $.02... and thanks for your efforts on this - it is wonderfully useful!
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly did consider this when it was suggested earlier. For now though, I'm foregoing it in favor of other options. The main reasons for this are
1) any added options add confusion. Trust me when I say that ANY option I add gets me emails along the lines of "WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT IT WAS FINE BEFORE WHY DO YOU KEEP WASTING MY TIME WITH STUPID OPTIONS I DONT NEED?" ;)
2) There's a pretty good work-around way to do this already. In your example, if you were to search 0-50 miles and sort the results by distance (the default), you could easily skip by the ones you'd already seen. (Admittedly it's not prefect or exactly what you're looking for, but it's OK given the trade-off..
3) I have a list of desired features longer than my arm. Some of them are pretty sweet. :mrgreen:

Hope you understand. Rest assured that whatever I'm working on, I'm working to make the site better. And I will keep this one in mind.

SpicyCurry

Post by SpicyCurry » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:17 am

I like the distance searching. Pretty neat. Now if you could only eliminate blank returns from the results page, I'd be in heaven. Probly some pretty fancy scripting required for that tho...

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 am

SpicyCurry wrote:I like the distance searching. Pretty neat. Now if you could only eliminate blank returns from the results page, I'd be in heaven. Probly some pretty fancy scripting required for that tho...
Actually it'd be really easy. The problem is it would result in CraigsHelper being blocked by Craigslist...

GuyFromKS

Post by GuyFromKS » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 am

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the distances are sometimes a bit off. For example, I'm searching from Manhattan, KS. Google lists Manhattan to Lawrence, KS, as 80 miles. CL, however, has it listed as 119 miles. If I was driving to Kansas City from here, I have to go THROUGH Lawrence on my way. Despite this, Kansas City is listed as closer than Lawrence (107 miles). Wichita is significantly off, as well. Google lists it as 167 miles, and CH lists it as 113. I haven't checked any of the farther away cities.

Even if CH calculated distance as the bird flies, Lawrence is physically closer than Kansas City.

Other than that, I really dig the distance searching. I never would have thought about some of these cities in my normal searches.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 pm

GuyFromKS wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the distances are sometimes a bit off. For example, I'm searching from Manhattan, KS. Google lists Manhattan to Lawrence, KS, as 80 miles. CL, however, has it listed as 119 miles. If I was driving to Kansas City from here, I have to go THROUGH Lawrence on my way. Despite this, Kansas City is listed as closer than Lawrence (107 miles). Wichita is significantly off, as well. Google lists it as 167 miles, and CH lists it as 113. I haven't checked any of the farther away cities.

Even if CH calculated distance as the bird flies, Lawrence is physically closer than Kansas City.

Other than that, I really dig the distance searching. I never would have thought about some of these cities in my normal searches.
Ya, because there are so many cities and zip codes out there, it just didn't make sense for me to record positions for them all manually. So instead I wrote a script to figure out the location of each city, and just manually did the ones that it couldn't find (still about 50 - that took a few hours..) Anyway, the down side is that a handful of cities did get placed incorrectly by the script. They generally end up thinking they're somewhere else in the same state, which is why it's close, but not right. Since the distance sort came live, there have been maybe 4 or 5 like this (out of hundreds, so doesn't seem too bad). Whenever someone mentions one being strange, as you just did, I locate the problem city and fix it.

In this case Lawrence was off. It should be right now. Wichita was fine though - the difference there is just the result of the distance being calculated in a straight line. (Which is necessary - it just isn't feasible for me to calculate and store the driving distance from every single zip code to every single craigslist city, as I'm sure you understand.)