Zip/Distance Mode

This is where I keep you updated on the latest and greatest stuff!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: complete phrase

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:00 pm

mickey wrote:With this new format the "complete phrase" option does not work. It give you partials instead. Try searching for "model A ford". :cry:
Actually, this problem is due to craigslist upgrading how they handle keywords. For some reason they're not keeping the functions working as they update them. The wildcard (*) search was broken a few days ago, and now the phrases. They do assure everyone that everything will be working again soon however. Also, none of these options were officially supported before. Hopefully now that they are (once they're up and running), they'll be more reliable.

Since CraigsHelper relies on the underlying craigslist functionality, unfortunately there's nothing we can do until craigslist fixes their system. :(

JOnathanseer

Re: Zip/Distance Mode

Post by JOnathanseer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Hey I just found this website and it's a gem.

I love the distance by zip feature, it solves so many questions automatically.

On other websites I always search by distance from my website. It's the most inclusive way imaginable.

I do not have to figure out which city is so far away. With your zip feature I'll get 'em all :-) :mrgreen: :geek: :D

It's odd that seen any sort of mention on the craigslist website of your website. They kind of go hand in hand! I found your site via an article in a magazine online.

rkytk

Post by rkytk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 am

I like the new zip code method. How far I must travel to pick up an item is a factor that determines if I buy or not. Choosing the distance I am willing to drive is a good way to define the search. I just bought a car I found 300 miles away; I am willing to travel farther for a car. I would have found it in the old search, but I like the slider for those items that are not worth the longer drive. The slider makes for a faster search and fewer cities to review.

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:08 pm

All the zip codes in Maine that I've tried don't seem to be recognized correctly. I always get results in New Hampshire before results in Maine. My zip code is 04210.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Tony wrote:All the zip codes in Maine that I've tried don't seem to be recognized correctly. I always get results in New Hampshire before results in Maine. My zip code is 04210.
Hi Tony,

Ya, it looks like the Maine craigslist was centered up by Caribou rather than somewhere more logical. I'm assuming most of the entries in Maine are in Portland, right? I'll center it on there - should work better.

racecar68dad

Post by racecar68dad » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:20 pm

racecar68dad
is there a way to skip the cities that have no results? if your looking over a large area its agonizing to go thru all those spaces with no results. otherwise a great tool!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:38 pm

racecar68dad wrote:racecar68dad
is there a way to skip the cities that have no results? if your looking over a large area its agonizing to go thru all those spaces with no results. otherwise a great tool!
Love to, but I can't. See the FAQ and elsewhere in the forums (heck, probably even earlier in this thread! ;) ) for the full explanation. Glad you like the tool though!:)

kendall

Post by kendall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:01 am

I have a couple questions

Any way to get it set up to default WITHOUT ebay results? (When I want to shop ebay, I'll go to ebay, it's easy to find easy to get to, easy to search from Ebay.)

And I'd like to be able to set it to default to the OLD style.
For me, the main reason I began using Craigs helper was because when I set options they would stay, so if I set my preferences and selected cities to search, they would persist from use to use and the only time I'd need to check is if I wanted to ad or remove a city. Now they don't persist, and I find that having to reset all that data each time completely eliminates the reason I had for using craigs helper in the first place.

Ken.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 am

kendall wrote:I have a couple questions

Any way to get it set up to default WITHOUT ebay results? (When I want to shop ebay, I'll go to ebay, it's easy to find easy to get to, easy to search from Ebay.)

And I'd like to be able to set it to default to the OLD style.
For me, the main reason I began using Craigs helper was because when I set options they would stay, so if I set my preferences and selected cities to search, they would persist from use to use and the only time I'd need to check is if I wanted to ad or remove a city. Now they don't persist, and I find that having to reset all that data each time completely eliminates the reason I had for using craigs helper in the first place.

Ken.
Hi Ken,

It should still be remembering all your settings. If not, you likely have cookies disabled. Are you getting a message to that effect when you open CraigsHelper?

PS: This question has nothing to do with the new zip/distance mode - please post your reply in the Help section

kendall

Post by kendall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Sorry, wasn't quite as clear as I could have been. The problem is that it defaults to the zip-distance mode, which is what I would like to get away from.
It remembers the last search I did, so doesn't seem to be a cookie issue.

The zip distance search is fine, but I live near lake Michigan, so many results that are a very reasonable 100 miles away straight line, are in reality 800 miles and more in actual round trip driving distance, and that's why I prefer using the old method.

I'll post elsewhere, but this seemed the most relevant place for it.

Ken.