Zip/Distance Mode

This is where I keep you updated on the latest and greatest stuff!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Zip/Distance Mode

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm

freddk13 wrote:Yes, it is fixed and works great! And when the search includes Kijiji, it will be sweeeeet! (Kijiji seems much bigger in Canada than Craigslist for some reason)
In the mean time, you can use the beta version of the kijiji search at http://kijiji.craigshelper.com. It's based on a very old version of the code though, so don't expect greatness. Soon.. the greatness will come soon.. :D

tom

Post by tom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Slider works great -- as does the site. THANKS!!!!!

Craig guest

Post by Craig guest » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:10 am

I am experiencing a strange problem.

Try this for yourself maybe its me.

Use zip code 19801, with the search for "Grand AM" , price range "0-2000", within 125 miles.

The search results skips the state of Delaware completely, I get hits all around the state up to New York City.

FYI I went on Delaware Craigslist.org and did search for "Grand AM" and I get a few adds that should have fit the search criteria.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Craig guest wrote:I am experiencing a strange problem.

Try this for yourself maybe its me.

Use zip code 19801, with the search for "Grand AM" , price range "0-2000", within 125 miles.

The search results skips the state of Delaware completely, I get hits all around the state up to New York City.

FYI I went on Delaware Craigslist.org and did search for "Grand AM" and I get a few adds that should have fit the search criteria.
Fixed now. Give'r a try. Philadelphia still shows up as closer, since you're right near the top of the state, but Delaware's next. :)

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Ever time I put in my zip 87507 it gives me porto rico. Please go back to the old way I hate this.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Jack wrote:Ever time I put in my zip 87507 it gives me porto rico. Please go back to the old way I hate this.
Hi Jack,

Thanks for pointing that out! There are so many zip codes out there, it's impossible to check them all manually. It looks like yours and a few others had the wrong latitude and longitude entries. I'll fix it ASAP (probably by the end of the evening), but in the mean time, you do have the option to go back to the old way. Just click the 'Select states & cities manually' link. Did you see the big news div that appears at the top of the screen, explaining the change and telling you how to go back? It should display for everyone who's used the site before.

ed_coyle

Post by ed_coyle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Greetings,
I think your slider should be a dropdown box. Every would feel more familiar with it. And you know its all about how they feel. :D
Also Jersey Shore and Central Jersey don't show up the new way. But then again people in Jersey don't use CL anyway. I think they post at the town square still. :roll:
More, I notice that if I exclude the word Jersey when I search the Jersey Shore and Central Jersey I lose a lot of spam. If you Include a check box to exclude all post that put the city in their location and post that do not use the location then a lot of spammers will be disappointed and more importantly posters may begin to use this field in a way that will allow searches to exclude more crap. Like I said in my email to you the personals sections are all broken everywhere. All the personals sites are crammed with fake posts( they actually sell their databases full of fluff back and forth) to lure subscribers, and CL is full of spam. Could you fix this please? Tomorrow would be good for me. Are you busy tomorrow? :)
Anyway thanks for Craigshelper. You are doing a good job And fighting the good fight.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 pm

ed_coyle wrote:Greetings,
I think your slider should be a dropdown box. Every would feel more familiar with it. And you know its all about how they feel. :D
Also Jersey Shore and Central Jersey don't show up the new way. But then again people in Jersey don't use CL anyway. I think they post at the town square still. :roll:
More, I notice that if I exclude the word Jersey when I search the Jersey Shore and Central Jersey I lose a lot of spam. If you Include a check box to exclude all post that put the city in their location and post that do not use the location then a lot of spammers will be disappointed and more importantly posters may begin to use this field in a way that will allow searches to exclude more crap. Like I said in my email to you the personals sections are all broken everywhere. All the personals sites are crammed with fake posts( they actually sell their databases full of fluff back and forth) to lure subscribers, and CL is full of spam. Could you fix this please? Tomorrow would be good for me. Are you busy tomorrow? :)
Anyway thanks for Craigshelper. You are doing a good job And fighting the good fight.
Hi Ed,

I did get your email BTW - been working furiously and hadn't had a chance to reply yet. But now I'm glad, because others may have the same questions.

Let me address your last question first. First off, that's an excellent tip - I'd advise adding it to the Craigslist Tips forum. I like the idea of having an option to filter that automatically, but I don't.. think it's possible. The CraigsHelper code has no access to the results from the craigslist cities, so I can't actually check what's in them and filter based on it.. The only thing I could do is automatically add the city name to the 'Not these' keywords. But that would filter out any ad that has the city name in the ad *anywhere*, not just as the location. What's more, there are a LOT of non-spam posts that list the city as the location. Plus there are a lot of cities where the region in the city have the city's name as part of it. There'd be no way to distinguish these. (ie 'East Vancouver' as part of 'Vancouver'). I can see some benefit here, but I'm worried the confusion it would inevitably cause might outweigh it.

Would anyone else like to weigh in on this idea?

Central NJ and Jersey Shore should be showing up fine.. Maybe they're just further down the list than you expect? Jersey Shore is centered on Atlantic City, and Central NJ around Hammondton, at the south-west corner of the Wharton State Forest. Maybe Jersey Shore would more appropriately be up by Toms River, but they're close. See this search for example, centered around zip code 08754, in Toms River, NJ.

Aaand finally the slider. That's another tough one. To some extent I agree that a drop-down would be more standard, which is a good thing. However, the slider is also more flexible. With a dropdown you can't really have more than 10 or maybe 20 options without it getting overwhelming. With the slider, people can essentially pick any distance they want. And while some people might take a half-second to figure it out, I can't see the number of people who literally couldn't use it being very high. Like I said, I'm torn on this one, but I decided to go with added power rather than over-simplifying. (Plus the slider is cooler, but that is relatively low (but still on ;) ) the list of considerations..) Anybody else want to weigh in on this too?

Anyway, thanks for all your feedback - I really appreciate it. Even if I don't decide to use a specific idea, they often find their way in in a modified form in the future, etc. Oh, and if you're still having a problem with the NJ cities, let me know. (And if you're from around there, if you think Jersey Shore should be moved.)

Whew! :)

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Craig's Helper Nathan wrote:
Jack wrote:Ever time I put in my zip 87507 it gives me porto rico. Please go back to the old way I hate this.
Hi Jack,

Thanks for pointing that out! There are so many zip codes out there, it's impossible to check them all manually. It looks like yours and a few others had the wrong latitude and longitude entries. I'll fix it ASAP (probably by the end of the evening), but in the mean time, you do have the option to go back to the old way. Just click the 'Select states & cities manually' link. Did you see the big news div that appears at the top of the screen, explaining the change and telling you how to go back? It should display for everyone who's used the site before.
Should be fixed now. Again, thanks for pointing that out! It looks like there were actually 153 zips total that had no coordinates set.

,ml,mbmnb

Post by ,ml,mbmnb » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Works great, way better!!

Thanks!!