Zip/Distance Mode

This is where I keep you updated on the latest and greatest stuff!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Zip/Distance Mode

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:11 pm

As you probably noticed, I just finished a brand new search mode for CraigsHelper searches in North America. Rather than manually adding all your states and cities, all you have to do now is type in your zip code, drag the slider, and you're good to go!

So.. here's your chance to weigh in. Especially if you find something broken, of course, please let me know! But ya.. anything you find non-intuitive would be useful for me to know. And of course, if you like it, let me know that too! :D Otherwise, why am I doing this? ;)

Edit: If you find that a city doesn't know where it belongs, please post here! ie: If it doesn't show up when it should, or vice versa, or if it shows up in the wrong place in the sort-by-distance list. Hopefully we'll get all those little issues ironed out ASAP. (And I honestly hope all the big ones are ironed out already!) :)

jbrittmartin

Re: Zip/Distance Mode

Post by jbrittmartin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:46 pm

this limits searching the US down to 250 miles from your zipcode.... can we still use the old way?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Just use the slider to increase the distance - 250 miles is only the default.

However, yes, you can use the old way. Click on the 'Advanced' button, then check the "Select Cities Manually" checkbox.

Thanks for your feedback!

underdog

Post by underdog » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:48 pm

I have not been able to get it to work yet. I will keep trying. Thanks.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Ooookee, well, if you're having trouble with something specific, maybe I can help.. :)

sdunathan

Post by sdunathan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:13 pm

I don't like the change at all. It was nice to have the three or four cities that I check a few times daily and just click the "Next City" button to move on. I tried the new search and it lists the cities on the left side of the screen but doesn't populate the data until you click on the city and either open it in another window or a new tab.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Craig's Helper Nathan wrote:Just use the slider to increase the distance - 250 miles is only the default.

However, yes, you can use the old way. Click on the 'Advanced' button, then check the "Select Cities Manually" checkbox.

Thanks for your feedback!
i'm not seeing any slider.... where is it?

jbrittmartin

Post by jbrittmartin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:14 pm

sdunathan wrote:I don't like the change at all. It was nice to have the three or four cities that I check a few times daily and just click the "Next City" button to move on. I tried the new search and it lists the cities on the left side of the screen but doesn't populate the data until you click on the city and either open it in another window or a new tab.
i'm gonna have to agree.

phoneman064

Post by phoneman064 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:09 pm

I like the new mode. I think it is much easier for finding local listings with in how far i'm willing to drive for the sale. I do like the STATE/CITY mode for searching for items when I'm trying to price or look for someone else.

Thanks for the service. Its truly amazing! Hanks helper is pretty sweet as well.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:26 am

sdunathan wrote:I don't like the change at all. It was nice to have the three or four cities that I check a few times daily and just click the "Next City" button to move on. I tried the new search and it lists the cities on the left side of the screen but doesn't populate the data until you click on the city and either open it in another window or a new tab.
Hmm.. this sounds like a bug. Can you post the URL of the results page you're getting here so I can take a look?

Also, for everyone, you can still do it the old way. Just click the Advanced button, and check 'Choose Cities Manually'.

I know it's always tough to adjust to change, but I'm confident this mode will be easier for most people. Once it's had some time to sink in though, I will of course consider tweaks based on user response. I'm already thinking about changing the name of the 'Advanced' button to make it clearer that's how you can access the old method.