Results Changes

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
tommott77

Re: Results Changes

Post by tommott77 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:34 pm

You are probably aware, but if not I just want to make sure, that the current search results are not 100% reliable/complete. After some comparison with the new search results, and searches on Craigslist cities individually, the new results missed several listings. Again you are probably aware of this, however this doesn't seem to be included in the original post describing some of the issues you are still working on.

What are the chances of this particular issue being resolved? In all honesty it is nice to have all the windows and the navigation working properly, but this is all trivial in terms of importance compared to having the new search results missing some of the current Craigslist listings/content all together. I'm a bit worried that this may be limit of the Google search process. If the results cannot be deemed 100% reliable I will have to resort to searching the Craigslist city listing individually.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun May 13, 2012 3:53 pm

tommott77 wrote:You are probably aware, but if not I just want to make sure, that the current search results are not 100% reliable/complete. After some comparison with the new search results, and searches on Craigslist cities individually, the new results missed several listings. Again you are probably aware of this, however this doesn't seem to be included in the original post describing some of the issues you are still working on.

What are the chances of this particular issue being resolved? In all honesty it is nice to have all the windows and the navigation working properly, but this is all trivial in terms of importance compared to having the new search results missing some of the current Craigslist listings/content all together. I'm a bit worried that this may be limit of the Google search process. If the results cannot be deemed 100% reliable I will have to resort to searching the Craigslist city listing individually.
The google results do seem to occasionally miss results, although often this is just because they haven't yet been indexed (there's a bit of a delay with new ads), or because a filter like 'has picture' is used, which won't catch inline html images with google.

Don't worry though, things aren't going to remain as they are. We are looking at a couple of better alternatives to google, as well as an 'advanced mode', that should allow you to view results straight at craigslist, just in a separate window rather than frames. (The current plan is to have a popped-out navigation window that will let you quickly flip between cities. Not quite as fast as the stacked results, but faster and easier than searching each craigslist city individually.) Stay tuned! :)

tommott77

Post by tommott77 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Tempest Nathan wrote:
tommott77 wrote:You are probably aware, but if not I just want to make sure, that the current search results are not 100% reliable/complete. After some comparison with the new search results, and searches on Craigslist cities individually, the new results missed several listings. Again you are probably aware of this, however this doesn't seem to be included in the original post describing some of the issues you are still working on.

The google results do seem to occasionally miss results, although often this is just because they haven't yet been indexed (there's a bit of a delay with new ads), or because a filter like 'has picture' is used, which won't catch inline html images with google.

Don't worry though, things aren't going to remain as they are. We are looking at a couple of better alternatives to google, as well as an 'advanced mode', that should allow you to view results straight at craigslist, just in a separate window rather than frames. (The current plan is to have a popped-out navigation window that will let you quickly flip between cities. Not quite as fast as the stacked results, but faster and easier than searching each craigslist city individually.) Stay tuned! :)
Appreciate the prompt response. This is great news! I had a feeling that it had something to do with how recent the new postings were. For my typical use of this site being able to view the most recent new posting is of paramount importance. Appreciate the hard work, and looking forward to the new updates.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun May 13, 2012 5:08 pm

You're welcome! You might also try the 'mobile mode' under the Display Options tab on the results page for now. Only one city at a time, but still faster than typing in your search over and over at craigslist. We'll have something better soon though, as I mentioned!

mxracer

Post by mxracer » Sun May 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Sorry about the post in the "old" results thread. Didn't know CL had screwed you guys. Being a software engineer myself I feel for you guys. Thanks for getting something working and for being there in the first place. I hope you guys get things worked out.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun May 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Update!

OK, we have an alternative ready, but it's not yet capable of handling all of SearchTempest's traffic, so I'm going to post it here for you guys to try out. To switch to the new mode, click here: http://www.searchtempest.com/?usebeta=1
To switch back, click here: http://www.searchtempest.com/?usebeta=0

If this one works out well, and if 3taps is able to increase their capacity to support all of SearchTempest's users, we will switch over the main site. One warning: if too many people start using this test mode it may bog down; if that happens, you can of course use the link above to switch back.

And again, we're still working on it! :)

Edit: It does appear that even this bit of test traffic is bogging down their service, so sorry if it's not working for you yet. Hopefully soon! (Although feel free to try, of course.)

outofthisworld

Post by outofthisworld » Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Thank you very much. This beta works very well for me. Price range search works just fine now.

Sorry that you guys have had to deal with such a difficult problem!

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Sun May 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: New Results Format!

Postby WebCrawler » Sun May 13, 2012 10:07 am
WE AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU! We use this site 3-5 times "EVERYDAY" and this is a prime example how "Change" is "NOT" always good!

It has gone from fast and user friendly....... To slow, archaic and 90% of results are old deleted posts. "BAD MOVE GUYS!!!"

***** "You ever just want to grab someone, shake the crap out of them and say: "WTF" were you thinking?" Yeah, this is one of those times!!! *****

WebCrawler

Postby Frustrated » Sun May 13, 2012 10:43 am
This posting has been deleted by its author.

"REALLY?"

Frustrated
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DanTheVanMan

Post by DanTheVanMan » Sun May 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Postby DanTheVanMan » Sun May 13, 2012 6:08 am
This posting has been deleted by its author.!!!!

THIS NEW FORMAT IS "CRAAAAAPPPP!!!!!" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

9 OUT OF 10 POSTS SAY: This posting has been deleted by its author.

THIS SITE WAS AMAZING! UNTIL YOU DID THIS! NOW WE CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING!

IT WASN'T BROKE! WHY DID YOU TRY TO FIX IT? NOW IT'S ALL F'D UP!!!! PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!!!!

WebCrawler

Post by WebCrawler » Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm

It has gone from fast and user friendly....... To slow, archaic and 90% of results are old deleted posts. "BAD MOVE GUYS!!!"
This about cover's the effects of all the "NEW" changes!!! So sad! All this site does now is frustration! Slower than pond water with bad results!!!