Results Changes

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Red

Re: Results Changes

Post by Red » Thu May 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Red wrote:Glad the direct results load up int the two popups again

Minor bitch

When clicking through cities in the nav. pane the longer city names go to two lines (in the next/prev. boxes). This causes me to mis-click, sometimes setting up a scenario where I keep cycling back and forth between the same two cities because the next/prev boxes move around between single and double lines. Can the boxes or city names within be restricted in some way to not move around or alternately provide fixed next/prev. buttons? This will allow me to just have to keep my eye on the results pane vs. having to watch and fuss w/the navigation pane.

Thanks again!!
Tempest Nathan wrote:Ha, yes, I noticed that too. It's definitely on the to-do list. Hopefully fixed tomorrow.
Looks fixed and working great for me. I keep saying it .......

THANKS!

jimmyjazz

Post by jimmyjazz » Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 pm

This afternoon (CDT) things seemed pretty slick on IE at work. Now at home I don't get the "Launch" window on IE, but just on Chrome. And, Chrome isn't finding results for most cities. I've tried deleting cookies. Any other recommendations?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu May 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Update to the original post on current performance issues in the Separate Cities mode: http://forums.searchtempest.com/viewtop ... f=10&t=823

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu May 17, 2012 7:24 pm

jimmyjazz wrote:This afternoon (CDT) things seemed pretty slick on IE at work. Now at home I don't get the "Launch" window on IE, but just on Chrome. And, Chrome isn't finding results for most cities. I've tried deleting cookies. Any other recommendations?
So you click the Launch Results button and nothing happens? Did you try the steps to manually enable popups (linked from the yellow box under the Launch Results button)?

jimmyjazz

Post by jimmyjazz » Fri May 18, 2012 5:30 am

No, I'm saying I don't get the "Launch Results" window with IE, and although I do on Chrome, it doesn't pop up the separate "city selection" window which in turn pops up a separate window for the city selected.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 am

Tempest Nathan wrote: So you click the Launch Results button and nothing happens? Did you try the steps to manually enable popups (linked from the yellow box under the Launch Results button)?
jimmyjazz wrote:No, I'm saying I don't get the "Launch Results" window with IE, and although I do on Chrome, it doesn't pop up the separate "city selection" window which in turn pops up a separate window for the city selected.
Sorry, I'm trying to understand, but I don't see how these are different. When you press the Launch Results button, something does happen then? But you don't get the window? What happens? Did you try the steps to allow popups?

ManKmAn

Post by ManKmAn » Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am

hkg53 wrote:I don't understand what the praise is all about? Everytime there was a change to ST, it became worse. Search tips do ABOLUTELY NOTHING. I now only get frustrated using St, which i won't be any longer. What for, it doesnt work. Blame it all you want my hardware, it isn't my hardware, it's ST's, it can't keep up.

Good luck, it was good while it lasted.

Later!
Wow...you're a dick. Why don't you write your own Craigslist search engine if you're such an expert?

archibald tuttle

Post by archibald tuttle » Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 am

Nathan,

So not knowing what the problem was I chose the separate cities results which isn't loading for me. didn't sign in to complain, but I'm perplexed about how to get to direct results, I can't find a button or toggle on the search tempest home page. IIRC when i first enterd a search, I was taken to an interim page asking me whether I wanted separate cities or direct. But I can't see how to get back there.

Since you also seem open to recommendations and are trying to be constructive about improving the site even while trying to keep it operable, the one thought I had on your approach, which appears to be keep two windows open next to each other. In the narrower macro results window there seems to be a list of city names. I can't tell if they are organized by distance from your zip code, alpha, otherwise or whether that is addressable.

The other hope I would have is the you might be able to tag a number of results, or number of results for last 7 days or some such. Don't know if you are able to collect that information from the searches ahead of time or, if no search of those cities is actually performed until you click on the them.

This would be of critical importance to the utility I find, because the previous aggregators I have used, first craiglook and then crazedlist did not filter out cities that had no results. That was the most superior comparative function of Search Tempest from my perspective.

As with most other posters appreciate the effort you put in. You can't be doing it for the thanks (because you would have quit after some of the blockheaded notes here). I'm glad there are people who climb mountains because they are there.

Brian

PS - for the those tracking the politics and economics of all this, the only way I can think of off the top of my head to really punish craigslist and/or ebay is to find/develop another local listing site that is friendly to multi-location searchers and steal traffic. Ironically the Searchtempest/crazed look formats drive traffic on their sites and they resist. I understand they could occasionally have resource issues, fine slow down multiple searches or have some power user fee. They may also be trying to drive national searching to ebay. But all they have to do is be as user friendly as Search Tempest, and maybe like search tempest include ebay listings within a certain locus with craigslist results to remind users of the utility of ebay for stuff.

Could we just displace craigslist. I would do it in a heartbeat after the hostility they have displayed to folks volunteering to make their service better. Facebook did it to Myspace, so it ain't impossible, but you have to move other users, i.e. those who place the ads and those who search locally only. I doubt most craigslist users have put a lot of thought into the benefits of placing what they think will be sold locally before a larger audience. I've bought one truck using crazedlist and one using search tempest over the past 2 years, both 2000 miles from where i live.

Some sellers post in both places, but I have generally been less impressed with trucks I've found on Ebay. Not sure why that is, and I still look there, but craigslist or a similar local classified has always proven to be where I find what I'm looking for. Can only say that craigslist is making me hate craigslist over this behavoir and if I had any remotely comparable opportunity I would never use craigslist again. I have been able to vote with my feet at paypal which I hate for various reasons, not just because they are big company skimming money off purchases. NO problem with that at all. But they don't have a user friendly choice of funding source and try to force you to take money from your bank account, so, whenever I see an offer to pay with paypal and there are other alternatives, I always choose the other alternative.

And if Ebay has a part in chilling this use of craigslist, as has been reported on this thread, I'll curtail use of that as much as possible. I can't swear off, but sometimes things I buy there are available directly on the internet cheaper, including amazon or elswhere in the big bad internet. I already avoid ebay unless absolutely necessary becuse of paypal anyway.

don't know that we, the WACS (wide area craigslist searchers) are really enough of a market to be of notice to these bozos but perhaps we can make coalition with folks disaffected with craigslist, ebat or paypal for other reasons.

feedback

Post by feedback » Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 am

I hope you guys can fix what i cant see anymore..including pictures of the initial posts

ManKmAn

Post by ManKmAn » Fri May 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Nathan....

I had my own nifty little craigslist search utility I wrote for my own use(sorry, like your site but I can't stand ads) and I came here to see if I can find some answers to what exactly they changed.

It appears they are blocking frames using an Apache X-FRAME-OPTIONS set in the http headers? I guess you're looking at alternate sources for the data...have you thought about building your own web service to go and retrieve each page individually and then parsing the HTML and wrapping results up to send back to the browser? I'm thinking I may handle it this way when I fix my utility to make sure my results are still real-time. Retrieving a file and parsing the HTML is pretty simple, my only concern is to break it all Craigslist has to do is a simple minor change to their page structure. Or maybe even simpler yet and harder for CL to break...just have a web service that gets the request, and sends the file back to the browser where it won't be subject to the apache directives on Craigslist's server? That's another avenue I'm going to look into. Can't win I guess....would be nice if they'd just loosen up and give us an API to work with.

Anyway...the real reason I wanted to post here was...I can't believe all the idiots giving you flak for this. Morons like that are the exact reason why when I create utilities like this....I keep them to myself or those people close to me. I'm much less tolerant of people complaining about stuff that I give them for free. Too many people take things like this site for granted and feel entitled to things