Results Changes

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Red

Re: Results Changes

Post by Red » Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 am

First craiglook got shut down a year or two ago - it was the best (IMHO).

Found SearchTempest and now craigslist is screwing around w/it, sigh, :roll:

I hope you manage to get it back to the great functionality it had before, good luck, craigslist seems to HATE sites like SearchTempest and does all it can to defeat them. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!

IamJim

Post by IamJim » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 am

cameopickup wrote:most results in my query come up as "outdated" or Closed by author.....they shouldn't come up at all.
I liked the simple way it "USED TO BE"....please go back to the way it was or give us an option.
This is very frustrating....it is easier to just go to "Craigslist and look at each city individually now"
You broke it.....now put it back the way it was.....PLEASE
cameopickup
Craigslist recently made a change at their end that prevents us from doing things the way we did before.

IamJim

Post by IamJim » Sun May 13, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks for the effort and updates Nate !!

Jim

Richard91326

Post by Richard91326 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for an excellent virtual tool and for keeping it up today. Great job.

ITcorey

Post by ITcorey » Sun May 13, 2012 10:45 am

Not really a fan of the new layout. I don't like not being able to see the price. is there anyway to change it?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 pm

freeportd wrote:nathan, kudos to you. Great website. One piece of feedback, if you could not open a new tab when clicking an item (or at least provide an option to stay within the current tab), that would be great. Good luck with the changes. Chuck
Unfortunately this is part of the change by craigslist. We can't open the individual ads within the frames either. It would be possible to open an ad over the results page, but since the results page is pulling in results from so many different places, this wasn't done because it would be very sluggish reloading it every time you went 'back'. We may provide an advanced option to do this in the future though. (We're working on the big stuff for now!)
Barner107 wrote:New site keeps crashing my iPad? Why is that - when loading cities up?
The current stop-gap measure is fairly memory intensive, which is probably why. You could try searching a smaller area at a time, or if that doesn't work, switching to 'mobile mode' under the Display Settings tab on the results page. We're working on it.
will wrote:Why fix what ain't broken?
To everyone saying versions of this, please go back and read the original post. ;) It was broken. Craigslist broke it. We're working to fix it as best as we can, as quickly as possible.
Richard91326 wrote:Thanks for an excellent virtual tool and for keeping it up today. Great job.
To everyone saying versions of THIS, thank YOU!

outofthisworld

Post by outofthisworld » Sun May 13, 2012 3:00 pm

How come you are truncating the item description at the hyphen?

The item description line is formatted: description - $price (city)

By truncating before the hyphen not only are you not displaying a the posted price, but you are not accessing that pricing information in your price range search (which isn't working).

Unlikely that this is do to Craigslist not allowing "frames".

In the future, when addressing a sudden, unexpected need to address a problem - just address that problem. Don't also try to make other changes to "improve things" at the same time. Fix the new problem and introduce other changes later, on a beta site and after they are tested.

It is a shame to see such a useful site get messed up like this.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun May 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Google does not index the price and location portion, so yes, indirectly this is due to craigslist blocking frames. It's not that we're truncating that info, it's that it isn't available from google, where we're currently getting the results. As mentioned, we are working on alternatives that will allow us to show this information; they just take longer to get up and running than the google results. Thanks for the advice though. ;)

ala.frosty

Post by ala.frosty » Sun May 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for putting in a work-around. Craigslist is partly owned by eBay. By facilitating nation-wide searches, SearchTempest usurps eBay's market share. Craigslist is supposed to be a "local sales only" site and isn't supposed to compete with eBay that's aimed at facilitating nation-wide searches.

I have to say, I agree that this workaround is lame and can be accomplished on Google without the need for SearchTempest. Google's results do NOT include recent submissions to Craigslist and also include outdated/expired/deleted ads that Google hasn't scrubbed yet.

The answer to this is either to buy Craigslist, or to replace Craigslist with something else. eBay tried with kijiji, but that sucked (because it was made by eBay). Craigslist has a huge network so usurping its market dominance is going to be really hard.

You might try switching up your IP address, but that would probably cost a bundle and I think you're only making money off eBay ads anyway .. everything seems to lead back to eBay at the end of the day.

ala.frosty

Post by ala.frosty » Sun May 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Essentially, eBay and Craigslist have agreed to divide the markets. That's contrary to the Sherman Act, but the US has pretty much given up attempting to prosecute it. Witness Microsoft's wins and the exceptions made for the wealthy owners of sports teams.