Job Tempest

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Cyric

Job Tempest

Post by Cyric » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Like most folks, I'm currently unemployed and looking for work. I use dozens of sites for this purpose, but none of them pull from CL ads.

It would be great if you could search by the distance from your home town, to the town of the listing. For example: I live in 01913, so if I set it to a 25 mile radius, it'll pull job listings from towns only within that 25 mile radius. When it searches regions within 25 miles many of the jobs are more than an hour away, and for me, that's far too long of a commute.

At the moment I've typed in the major towns I'm close to, but the list of towns physically within that radius are a lot to manually type.

I know a fair amount of work would go into making that possible, but job sites are incredibly profitable from ad revenue alone. You'd probably increase your traffic 10 fold.

If I knew anything at all about programming I'd gladly offer my services to help make it possible.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Job Tempest

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm

I highly doubt the 10x traffic increase ;) but a 'job tempest' is definitely something I've considered. (I actually have the domain careertempest.com registered just in case.) Let me try to better understand the issues you mentioned though..

When you say "When it searches regions within 25 miles many of the jobs are more than an hour away", do you mean SearchTempest does that? Or the other job sites you're using?

SearchTempest should only include cities within the range you specify - the only tricky thing is that some craigslist 'cities' actually cover larger regions, like entire states. So in those cases we have to pick a point (usually the center of the region) and treat the city as if it were there for the distance calculations. In those cases, some individual posts can be farther away than the distance specified. Unfortunately I don't have any good work-around to that at the moment. (For items for sale, it's generally not as big of a deal, but I can see how it would be useful to specify your travel distance for a job more precisely.)

Also if you don't mind me asking, your ideal job tempest - what sites would it search?

Cyric

Post by Cyric » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 pm

I live in the northeast, so if I type in 25 miles I get cities from ALL of NH and all the way south into boston. Some of the cities returned as much a 3 hours away, lol.

The only workaround I can think of is to create a database similar to what you use for autotempest, where it auto inputs the correct search string for multiple vehicle years, except instead of vehicle years, it would input local cities and towns. I'm sure there's some type of database already in place as many sites utilize geographical searches.

The sites I use most often are indeed.com, snagajob.com, careerbuilder.com, and linkedin.com

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Cyric wrote:I live in the northeast, so if I type in 25 miles I get cities from ALL of NH and all the way south into boston. Some of the cities returned as much a 3 hours away, lol.

The only workaround I can think of is to create a database similar to what you use for autotempest, where it auto inputs the correct search string for multiple vehicle years, except instead of vehicle years, it would input local cities and towns. I'm sure there's some type of database already in place as many sites utilize geographical searches.

The sites I use most often are indeed.com, snagajob.com, careerbuilder.com, and linkedin.com
Actually, I already do have a database that the calculated distance from every zip code to every craigslist city. What's your zip code? It's possible it has the wrong coordinates entered.

Cyric

Post by Cyric » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:16 am

I'm in 01860.

If you already have a database, that's 90% of the work. All you'd really need to do is have the drop boxes fill in the search query like you do on Autotempest, except instead of car years, it'd be town names.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Cyric wrote:I'm in 01860.

If you already have a database, that's 90% of the work. All you'd really need to do is have the drop boxes fill in the search query like you do on Autotempest, except instead of car years, it'd be town names.
So how would that be different from the 'choose states/cities manually' mode that you get by clicking the link at the left side of the lighter grey area of the search page?

Edit: Also, I just tried a search with your zip, and the only craigslist city it returned as being within 25 km of you was New Hampshire. So the only ads you should be seeing are ones from NH.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 pm

I think the issue here is that SearchTempest allows you to choose which craigslist sites to search - either by choosing them manually, or by setting a distance from your zip code. It doesn't (and can't, for reasons discussed in the faq) distinguish between results within a craigslist site. Some sites, as I mentioned, cover entire states - and unfortunately NH is one of those. So although some of the individual ads within NH may be further away from you than others, they all belong to the same craigslist location, so are all grouped together.

Edit again: I think I finally get what you mean. You mean automatically generate keywords for the individual towns when searching inside the craigslist cities, right? Like have the names of all the towns within X miles of a zip as additional automatic keywords for the search?

Good idea, but unfortunately it has two significant problems. First, it would be an ungodly amount of work to create a database of all the individual towns/municipalities/etc within the various craigslist locations. (Especially since people can literally enter anything they want in the 'location' field.) Second, that field actually isn't searchable! So as far as I know, you literally can't use it to narrow down searches. Sorry!

Cyric

Post by Cyric » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Yes, I meant to automatically generate keywords.

I'm sure there are available databases that have this information, as most search engines have a geographical database. A good example of this would be a realty site that searches for properties in towns within so many miles of you.

I know the location field isn't searchable, but in every joblisting I have seen, they mention the town within the body of the ad, and I've had great success manually inputting towns.

On an aside, I noticed you were missing the North Shore region of Massachusetts which would also come up for me if it were available.

Personally, I feel these are search capabilities that should be done by craigslist, as their search parameters are fairly archaic by any standard; but I really doubt they'll make any effort to improve them.

If creating a database is your greatest concern, I'd be happy to help you with that. I know the end result would certainly draw traffic by making searches easier and more specific to the end user. The lazier the end user can be, the happier they are, lol.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 am

You would need to be able to generate lists of every town within a given distance of every zip code.. That's a lot of information. How about send me an email and we can talk about it a bit more there.