Search 2 or more subcategories

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Yuricov7

Search 2 or more subcategories

Post by Yuricov7 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Sometimes I search "all sales/wanted" because the item might be listed under 2 or 3 subcategories of "sales/wanted", yet there is no option of choosing multiple subcategories. It would be nice if you could hold down a key (i.e. = Ctrl) and click on "Antiques", "Furniture - by owner" and "Garage sales", thus searching those 3 subcategories and not hafta search the entire category of "sales/wanted". This of course could apply to and be useful for the other categories such as "jobs", "services" and "housing". Waddaya think ?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Search 2 or more subcategories

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed May 04, 2011 8:54 pm

It's a good idea. The problem is that craigslist itself doesn't support it. Since the standard results mode for SearchTempest gives you the actual results pages from craigslist, the only way we could give you multiple categories at once would be to have multiple windows for each city. And at that point, it's not much easier than running two searches.

It would be possible for the Google results mode (when you click on 'All Cities Together' on the results page). However, I hesitate to add options that would only work in that mode, since it would also add a fair bit of confusion.

Sooo.. cool idea, but likely not feasible at the moment.

dustwalk

Re: Search 2 or more subcategories

Post by dustwalk » Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 am

I think adding multiple categories would be good, even if the results are separated into different boxes. Its more convenient than having multiple windows or tabs.