List in date order

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
toddreg

List in date order

Post by toddreg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Because so many people fail to take down their adds some way to either list search results by date or choose a date range to display results would be helpful. Or, highlight new ads.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: List in date order

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 am

toddreg wrote:Because so many people fail to take down their adds some way to either list search results by date or choose a date range to display results would be helpful. Or, highlight new ads.
In order to respect craigslist's rights (and avoid being shut down), I am limited to providing the exact results pages from craigslist. Searchtempest can not modify what is sent out by craigslist itself. Instead, we try to provide easy access to all of craigslist's advanced features, in multiple cities at once. So it can't technically do anything that you couldn't do yourself at CL; it would just take you longer.

That said, I do offer another results mode powered by Google. You can find it in the Display Options tab on the results page. This mode gives you everything in one list, which may help you out. It has a couple minor drawbacks, which are listed in that tab, but for the most part it works quite well.

Finally, a trick that some people use (talking about the normal mode again) is to always click the first ad in each city, whether they're interested in it or not. That way the link will be highlighted, and next time you search you'll know you've seen everything below it. Obviously a bit time consuming, but some find it useful, especially if only searching a few cities.

So, that's what you've got. :) I wish I could do more, but I figure it's better to respect craigslist's wishes and therefore be able to continue providing a useful service than to make something fantastic that gets shut down in a month! And I'm always looking for ways to improve. That google mode for example is a relatively recent addition.