Suggestions for improvements/Premium features

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
guiri

Suggestions for improvements/Premium features

Post by guiri » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:22 am

1. When I first get ready to do a search, I don't see the option to do Display All Results Together. I can do it AFTER I've done the search and go to Display Options but not before. Am I wrong about this?
2. Love the option to sort by price but I would like this option WITH the Display All Results Together if possible.
3. Any chance instead of having ONE field to enter search data, do like Google does with their Advanced search and have several fields? One for word or words, second for phrase and so on.. I know we've talked about this Nathan where I had all kinds of search problems/issues/questions (remember this query Nathan... DRZ 400"|DRZ400|KLX 400|KLX400K|TE-610 -80 -110 -125 -250" ?) :mrgreen:

This would make things a lot easier for someone like me that likes to get detailed in his searches and that searches a lot. I learned to use the Advanced searches many years ago when the Excite search engine was around and long before Google and I consistently got better search results than anyone I know and to this day, most of my friends come to me to help them find stuff online. They can spend hours or days searching and I find the stuff in minutes. Simple reason, they don't know how to search, they don't want to learn, they are afraid to test different options/features and they never explore anything beyond the basics, such as the basic search in Google.
This is/was also true for people that got online with AOL. They never learned $hit because they stayed in that little community all the time.
===========================================================
Let me give you guys an example what I mean with the different search fields. Nathan knows what I'm talking about but not everyone does I'm guessing.

Say for instance that I want to find a Portable printer that is wireless and battery operated. Well, I've done some research and prolly settled on an HP because canon kinda tends to favor an IR connection rather than bluetooth or wifi or something and yes, I was looking for an older model to save money.

Well, how would I search for:

Portable printer
Wireless
Battery
HP and put it in the same search field and not get every damn listing that has the words;

Portable
Printer
Wireless
Battery
HP

in them...?
=========================
So far, I like the new site and thanks for improving on something that was already the best on the web and thanks for explaining the RSS feature to me some time ago :)

Now if Ad Notifier could get their $hit together and make their stuff as simple to use as your site, I'd be happy as pig in $hit and I'd spend a hell of a lot less time searching.

George the search Pig :mrgreen:

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for improvements/Premium features

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:35 am

Hi George,

You're correct, you need to run a search before selecting the 'all results together' option. However, from that point on the option will be remembered, so you won't have to do it for future searches. The reasoning there is that the homepage should be kept as simple as possible to make things easy for first-time users, and the option to change the results mode doesn't really mean much until you've seen the results. (Obviously in some cases it's a small inconvenience, but it's a fair tradeoff.)

Unfortunately I don't have control over the sort order of the 'together' mode, since it's powered by google. The only options they offer are date and relevance (best match).

I could look into an advanced search mode along the lines of what google does. The only thing is, I'm thinking (as you note) a small percentage of people would use it. And most of That percentage would figure out the advanced syntax without it. Plus you'll never get the full power of the advanced syntax with separate fields. So I could only see a small percentage of a small percentage finding it useful.. :) I do make note of all the suggestions I get though, so if others echo that notion, I'll definitely consider it.

Your printer example just seems like a simple default search to me though.

If you entered
printer portable wireless battery hp
in the standard search box, you would get only wireless, hp, battery-powered, portable printers. Right?

guiri

Post by guiri » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:45 am

Well, well, well...I guess I should have tried it but since I never do that in my regular searches, I just assumed it wasn't going to work well but you're right, only HP printers. Sweet.

I assume I shouldn't have done the PHRASE search which I didn't?

My problem is I'm too stupid to figure out the search syntax for longer things which is why I've been asking you in the past, the different fields makes things easier for me but hey, if I'm the only one, then needless to say, this isn't a good reason.

Can you explain in super simple terms why that would give me worse results than a one field search?

I also now saw that it does remember the google search option whatever it was called. Sweet!

Like I said before, I'm happy as pig in $hit and I like the new improvements

Thanks

George

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:20 pm

No problem. Basically with the advanced syntax, you have the flexibility to include whatever you want - any number of 'and', 'or', 'negative', or 'phrase' terms. When you split things up into separate fields, it will always be somewhat limited, since you can only include a certain number of things.

For example, let's think of a more advanced search. Say you only liked HP OR Lexmark printers. And you wanted portable, but people won't always use the words wireless AND portable, so you just want ads with at least one of those words.

Soooo you need HP or Lexmark, AND wireless or portable. With the advanced syntax, you would enter

(hp|lexmark) (wireless|portable)

Whereas with separate fields for each term, it would be difficult to specify something like that. (Especially if you got even more complicated and had multiple groups of more than two terms.)

You're correct that you would not want to choose phrase. Phrase means "all words, *in that order*". It's the equivalent of putting your entire search in quotes in the All/Advanced mode.

guiri

Post by guiri » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:18 pm

It's all good and well if you kNOW how to do the syntax but you should know as much as I've bugged you that I DO NOT! :(

Hey, I get this message when I try to get here from my notification e mails... "Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php"

Just thought I'd let you know

George

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:55 pm

guiri wrote:It's all good and well if you kNOW how to do the syntax but you should know as much as I've bugged you that I DO NOT! :(

Hey, I get this message when I try to get here from my notification e mails... "Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php"

Just thought I'd let you know

George
That's why I'm trying to help you learn the syntax. ;)

Is the cache problem with the notifications fixed now?

guiri

Post by guiri » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Yeah, that ain't gonna work Jose. I'm too stupid, my memory is $hit and I have a general concentration and reading comprehension problem. Just give it up :)

Nope, the syntax thingie is still messed up in the notify unless my cache in any way is screwing me up but if that's not it, then it's still not working, for ME anyway.

George

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 pm

guiri wrote:Nope, the syntax thingie is still messed up in the notify unless my cache in any way is screwing me up but if that's not it, then it's still not working, for ME anyway.
How 'bout now?

guiri

Post by guiri » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Must be workin' 'cause I just clicked it and wound up here.

Good job pardner :mrgreen:

Luke Warmchops

Post by Luke Warmchops » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Please allow "Nearby Results" to be turned off when doing a search. It's annoying to see the same results over and over from city to city. I'd prefer to see each listing only once.