Version 3 Feedback

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Version 3 Feedback

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:56 pm

John,

The results of those searches look the same to me. Did you by any chance switch one of them to the google-powered 'all results together' aka 'single list' format?

JeffNLisa

Post by JeffNLisa » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:25 pm

I don't see a use for all the new bells and whistles, but it is still missing the one thing that I ever thought was the HUGE improvement to SearchTemest -- for about three days there was a way to have it search as wide a range as I wanted, and it would automatically go and remove the ones where there was "Nothing found for that search"

That functionality was disabled within days of it being introduced, and literally nothing else you could do would ever measure up to having that back.

I see that you have categories, I can't remember if that was there before, but even when I click on "more" categories, the one I want is not there, which is "RVs". I wouldl ike it if "RVs" was added under the categories. That would at least keep out a dozen other useless matches!

But nothing compares to how useful it was for a few days when it would automatically close the ones where "Nothing found for that search"

Please bring that back!!!!!

Edit ==> Oh, and one more thing, as with everything, "newer and _____er also seems to mean more processor intensive, and more bandwidth intensive. I already have an enormous amount of bandwidth, so increasing it is not really an option. But I also hate when something that was working just fine now takes longer to load because it's "doing more" that it did before. I have only tested with the two links that johnmpls has in his post a few posts back, but the old search comes up for me in about 14 seconds, and the new search takes 21 seconds. Granted, if I got more it could be worth the extra time, but I don't see any extra value, so I reset the extra time.

Gawd, I sound pathetic and selfish! I'm sorry to come across like that! SearchTempest is a very useful tool, and I shudder to think of all the work it has taken you to create it. I didn't mean to forget to praise all that it is!
Last edited by JeffNLisa on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JeffNLisa

Re: Distance Slide Bar

Post by JeffNLisa » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Searchtempest Nathan wrote:
Calvingouw wrote:Thanks for your work!! The new site looks awesome, except for one thing that was missing from the old site. That's the distance slide bar. The choices in the new site jump from 250 miles to 500 miles and there's nothing in between. I'd like to see the old slider back. Great job!
Thanks! A lot of people were confused by the slider, so that's not an option, but we could definitely add some more resolution in there. Would 300, 400, 500 be enough, or do you think it needs 350, 450 too? (I just want to avoid having the dropdown too long.) Eventually it could even be a combobox where you can choose something from the dropdown or type in your own mileage if you prefer. That'd be cool... :)

Just my opinion, but I agree with Calvin, the slider made the most sense. I don't really know what to say about people who were confused by it, my mother always taught me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all . . .

More choices in the drop-down would make it better, but still more cumbersome. The slider just made the most sense.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:23 pm

JeffNLisa:

Thanks for your feedback. Let me try and address your points:

For your first question, take a look at the frequently asked questions page, particularly the section about 'what happened to the enhanced mode?'. Short answer: I know it was useful, and I would not have removed it if I had a choice in the matter. That said, I'm always working on ways to improve the site, and may have something similar available soon (within a few weeks to a couple months).

As far as new bells and whistles slowing the site down, the main focus of the new site was actually on trimming things down, making the styling more streamlined and intuitive for new users (less cluttered), and making the code more efficient. You'll notice there weren't actually many totally new features added at all. The first time you go to the new site it will load slower because nothing is cached. (If you clear your cache, you'll see the main site loads slower too.) After that, the general consensus, and certainly the expectation, is that it loads slightly *faster* than the old site. Of course, it varies due to network speed etc. However, you can also perform full searches from the 'modify search' tab on the new results page, so potentially save a lot of time going back and forth too.

RVs is still there. Since it's one of the more commonly used categories, it's shown above the 'show more' link. "recreational vehicles" (aka RVs).

As for the slider/dropdown, honestly I liked the slider better too. Personal preferences are always going to be split on that kind of thing. But people emailed me almost every day having trouble with it. Also it made life difficult for people using mobile browsers and such things without mice. Eventually I'm going to probably make it a combobox, where you can select a value from the dropdown (as now) or type in your own if you want something in-between the available options. Best of both worlds. But we'll see - now that I added the 350, 450, etc options, I'm guessing this setup will work fine.

Gigsearcher

What Happend To % Top City Search Slider?

Post by Gigsearcher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49 pm

What Happend To % Top City Search Slider?

Though the new design looks good it is now missing one of the main functions I used to use. The top city % search. I would slide that to top 20%-30% for whole country looking for gigs. It weeded out all the extra cities in states that didn't have much posted or would just feed the information from the top city/area as reposted links since Craigslist adds the surrounding areas now.

Basically instead of 1-30 pages to search would get on average about 10 pages of searches to look through which was GREAT! Cut down on useless searches and cut down one my search time to help me find gigs.

Searching via x amount of miles does me know good when I want to search the whole country but by percentage. On weeks that were slower I could increase it to add some more searches.

Please bring it back!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: What Happend To % Top City Search Slider?

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Gigsearcher wrote:What Happend To % Top City Search Slider?

Though the new design looks good it is now missing one of the main functions I used to use. The top city % search. I would slide that to top 20%-30% for whole country looking for gigs. It weeded out all the extra cities in states that didn't have much posted or would just feed the information from the top city/area as reposted links since Craigslist adds the surrounding areas now.

Basically instead of 1-30 pages to search would get on average about 10 pages of searches to look through which was GREAT! Cut down on useless searches and cut down one my search time to help me find gigs.

Searching via x amount of miles does me know good when I want to search the whole country but by percentage. On weeks that were slower I could increase it to add some more searches.

Please bring it back!
That options was removed on a trial basis due to extremely low usage. I may bring it back if there's sufficient demand, but in the meantime, there is an alternative. Near the top of the results page, you have the option to choose how the cities are sorted. Choosing 'size' will put the largest cities at the top, which will provide nearly the same benefit as the 'major cities' option.

Please let me know what you think.

dave

Post by dave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 am

So far, so good as far as functionality.

One little nitpicky thing: w/ regard to the "show more categories" option, the opposite of that is "show FEWER categories", not "less categories."

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 pm

dave wrote:So far, so good as far as functionality.

One little nitpicky thing: w/ regard to the "show more categories" option, the opposite of that is "show FEWER categories", not "less categories."
You are correct, Sir! Fixed. :)

dave

Post by dave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Searchtempest Nathan wrote:
dave wrote:So far, so good as far as functionality.

You are correct, Sir! Fixed. :)
Excellent. Hey-ohhhhh! <Ed McMahon voice>