Version 3 Feedback

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Version 3 Feedback

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 am

Hi all,

This thread is for comments about the new beta of SearchTempest Version 3.

A few features of the new mode:
  • Obviously a total visual redesign. Less ugly. :)
  • Streamlined the key functions - should be especially useful for new users. Very obvious required fields "Where" and "What". All the advanced options are still there, but clutter is (hopefully) greatly reduced.
  • The results page has also been tweaked so more focus is on the important part - the results. Page numbers, search info, etc, is still there, but is displayed in a less obtrusive manner.
  • Behind the scenes changes should speed up page loads. (Work is ongoing on this, so look forward to further improvements.)
  • Modify your search right from a tab in the results page
  • Amazon results available
  • Better iPhone support, with more improvements to come.
And a couple things still in development
  • Recent/Saved searches. Really cool stuff here. Flag all your most common searches to easily modify or run again. Also access all your most recent searches quickly and easily. Eventually there will be the ability to log in too, so you can access the saved searches on multiple machines.
  • As well as zip/postal codes, you'll be able to enter the name of a city to search a specified distance from that city.
Still working on those, but they're coming.

OK, feedback away! :)

Calvingouw

Distance Slide Bar

Post by Calvingouw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for your work!! The new site looks awesome, except for one thing that was missing from the old site. That's the distance slide bar. The choices in the new site jump from 250 miles to 500 miles and there's nothing in between. I'd like to see the old slider back. Great job!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Distance Slide Bar

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Calvingouw wrote:Thanks for your work!! The new site looks awesome, except for one thing that was missing from the old site. That's the distance slide bar. The choices in the new site jump from 250 miles to 500 miles and there's nothing in between. I'd like to see the old slider back. Great job!
Thanks! A lot of people were confused by the slider, so that's not an option, but we could definitely add some more resolution in there. Would 300, 400, 500 be enough, or do you think it needs 350, 450 too? (I just want to avoid having the dropdown too long.) Eventually it could even be a combobox where you can choose something from the dropdown or type in your own mileage if you prefer. That'd be cool... :)

shan

Re: Version 3 Feedback

Post by shan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:04 pm

what about the (emanation) words. to help sort out all the trash talkers?? the old site had it and it was great.. thanks

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:43 pm

shan wrote:what about the (emanation) words. to help sort out all the trash talkers?? the old site had it and it was great.. thanks
The what? Do you mean the negative keywords? Still there, just put a dash before each one, like in the example.

emanation = the act of emanating, ie being emitted from a source.. I don't think that's what you were going for. Maybe 'elimination' words?

shan

Post by shan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Searchtempest Nathan wrote:
shan wrote:what about the (emanation) words. to help sort out all the trash talkers?? the old site had it and it was great.. thanks
The what? Do you mean the negative keywords? Still there, just put a dash before each one, like in the example.

emanation = the act of emanating, ie being emitted from a source.. I don't think that's what you were going for. Maybe 'elimination' words?

elimination was the word i was looking for,, sorry

i didnt know how to do the "dash" in front the old site just had a space to type in the stuff you didnt want to look for .. thanks

OldNuc

Post by OldNuc » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:05 am

Seems to be working fine. At least on the first look.

My_Kismet

Another nitpicker

Post by My_Kismet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Hello, Love the new look but one thing I wish is that I could have the option of only looking at new listings, i.e. ones I haven't seen yet. I have been looking for a few things lately, (e.g. a fish-tank, a tractor tiller, and appliances.) I wait a few days and then search again but sometimes I end up looking at listings I have already seen, but didn't remember. So if you could put in a date range that would be very helpful. Of course that would eliminate the adds that were placed after I searched but were put in the same day I searched, so maybe a way for a person signed it to get listings of a saved search that are new from the last search. Yeah and while I am at it a free car and house would be nice too. LOL I am not sure that last suggestion would be possible but some way of eliminating listings that you have already seen would be helpful. I have found doing a search for a common thing can bring up tons of items and take awhile to weed through. If you only had the new stuff the list would be a lot smaller and quicker to get through.

On the positive side I like the easy one line for what you are looking for using the elimination words. It makes it just like using a search engine e.g. Google, Yahoo etc.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Another nitpicker

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:39 pm

My_Kismet wrote:Hello, Love the new look but one thing I wish is that I could have the option of only looking at new listings, i.e. ones I haven't seen yet. I have been looking for a few things lately, (e.g. a fish-tank, a tractor tiller, and appliances.) I wait a few days and then search again but sometimes I end up looking at listings I have already seen, but didn't remember. So if you could put in a date range that would be very helpful. Of course that would eliminate the adds that were placed after I searched but were put in the same day I searched, so maybe a way for a person signed it to get listings of a saved search that are new from the last search. Yeah and while I am at it a free car and house would be nice too. LOL I am not sure that last suggestion would be possible but some way of eliminating listings that you have already seen would be helpful. I have found doing a search for a common thing can bring up tons of items and take awhile to weed through. If you only had the new stuff the list would be a lot smaller and quicker to get through.

On the positive side I like the easy one line for what you are looking for using the elimination words. It makes it just like using a search engine e.g. Google, Yahoo etc.
Unfortunately since the results go straight from craigslist to you, this is easier said than done. (More info on that in the faq.) However, there is a trick that might help. Takes a bit of time, but might be worth it for you. Basically, in each city, click on the very first ad in the list, whether you're interested in it or not. Then when you return to the page, that link will be highlighted purple, so you know you've seen everything below it.

Another option is to use the 'All Results Together' mode, powered by google. That way you only have one list to worry about. Of course, since it relies on google's index, the results aren't 100% identical to what you'll find directly on craigslist. Still, it's generally pretty good, and speeds up searching considerably.

johnmpls

Post by johnmpls » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 am

I have one major problem the newest version: It's too hard to scan a large number, because price isn't easily noted.

I search for project cars to buy. My search is for audis, bmws, mercedes, triumphs, mgs, jaguars, etc. , and under $10,000.

Under the current system, a quick scan of the top line shows if it's a possibility: ("1999 BMW 540 6 spd. 130K. $2500"). With this newer version, the info that was in the title of the Craigslist ad is now buried, and a quick scan of a page of ads doesn't tell me anything.

Would very much like the title of the ad, with the price and the location, to remain.

Current version:

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.ph ... tring_neg=

Beta version:

http://stv3.searchtempest.com/results.p ... xAsk=10000

Thanks for all your work on this!