Cities that have 'nothing found'

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Chris760

Re: Cities that have 'nothing found'

Post by Chris760 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Well why cant you just move the cities with the most results first and then filter down to the least amount of results per cities. You can even put a "Sort Results By" option with prices, most results, and distance away, This should not violate their policy since you are still displaying all results, your just filtering or sorting them. There has to be something you can do. I order stuff from everywhere and I do not want to scroll through every single city with no results just to find 1 out of 20 cities that have 1 item that I'm looking for.

Chris760

Post by Chris760 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:58 pm

Sorry, I was gonna add that I know C++ Java and HTML and would be very easy to make a boolean expression to just filter the most results to the top of the search page regardless of what is said in the searches. Especially when the results sais for example Atlanta, Georgia returned 2 results. You could put this in your code to desend starting with the highest reults first. Craigslist even states how many results for each city is found, so yea you can still show the no result cities but filter them to show the ones with most results first and you dont have to look any further once you get to cities with zero results found. Let me know what you think of this.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:34 pm

All of that would be true, except it is not possible to parse the results in any way. The craigslist results are pulled directly into frames by the user's browser, so the server-side code has no access to them. Client-side languages such as javascript have blocks in place to prevent code from one domain accessing content from another. So while I agree that it would be easy to parse the HTML results returned to determine how many results were present and do whatever with that information, that HTML is simply not available to be parsed.

Give it a try if you'd like. Make a simple html page with an iframe, load an external web page into the frame, then try to somehow look at its contents. Remember this has to be done on the client side, because if the craigshelper server directly accesses craigslist for every query that is run, it will quickly be blocked (just as would any user who searches hundreds or thousands of cities a day).

lobidder

Post by lobidder » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:01 am

On the single frame option with all cities listed on the left. Is it possible to put in paranthesis how many results from each city?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 am

Again, no.. for reasons described in the post immediately above yours.

9th Ward

Post by 9th Ward » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Search Tempest Nathan wrote:once again, it is not possible to filter out cities with no results.
Yes it is.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:40 am

9th Ward wrote:
Search Tempest Nathan wrote:once again, it is not possible to filter out cities with no results.
Yes it is.
Um.. ok? I guess you know better than me then. Please explain to me how to do so without being blocked by craigslist and I'll gladly implement it.

9th Ward

Post by 9th Ward » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 pm

there's a firefox extention out there... used to mess with it a while ago... let's you mod the html and set some preferences.

there's also this deal called adblock... same concept. in theory, tables with "Nothing found for that search ( All words must match )." would be blocked.

there's other ways to do it as well.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:13 pm

9th Ward wrote:there's a firefox extention out there... used to mess with it a while ago... let's you mod the html and set some preferences.

there's also this deal called adblock... same concept. in theory, tables with "Nothing found for that search ( All words must match )." would be blocked.

there's other ways to do it as well.
OK, true. There are ways on the client side. However, I have no control over individual users' browsers, so it would be up to them to implement these work-arounds. If there was a particularly straight-forward way, I could provide instructions on it though.

I suppose what I should say is "It is not possible for me to filter out cities with no results, without being blocked by craigslist." :)

bigalpha

Post by bigalpha » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 am

So since ST just pulls the results straight into our browser, there's no way for you to intercept the result at all?

I don't know the technical details, but is it still against CL TOS if you just read the filesize of the returned result?