Cities that have 'nothing found'

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Cities that have 'nothing found'

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 pm

bigalpha wrote:So since ST just pulls the results straight into our browser, there's no way for you to intercept the result at all?

I don't know the technical details, but is it still against CL TOS if you just read the filesize of the returned result?
The thing is, javascript (which you would have to use to read anything client-side) has blocks that explicitly prevent this kind of thing (called Cross-site scripting, or XSS), as it would have the potential to be abused.

bigalpha

Post by bigalpha » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:14 am

Gotcha. I wasn't sure how it worked from your end. I'm a technical n00b.

Thanks for the reply.

alamedaz

Post by alamedaz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 am

PLEASE add these options
SHOW ONLY RESULTS - HITS FOUND
SHOW NUMBER OF HITS FOUND
SHOW INDEX PAGE W/ LINKS TO RESULTS SHOWN - especially useful for the search that has few hits.
AGGREGATE HITS IN ONE PAGE OF LISTINGS, REGARDLESS OF AREA FOUND

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 pm

alamedaz wrote:PLEASE add these options
SHOW ONLY RESULTS - HITS FOUND
SHOW NUMBER OF HITS FOUND
SHOW INDEX PAGE W/ LINKS TO RESULTS SHOWN - especially useful for the search that has few hits.
AGGREGATE HITS IN ONE PAGE OF LISTINGS, REGARDLESS OF AREA FOUND
PLEASE read the posts above yours...

bigbeachbum

Post by bigbeachbum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Why cant this be done
http://elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=florida

This site does it, you can search by days old, and only those with results come up. This site does not do the miles, the format is different, and their keywords is broken, you have to enter them in the same order in the list. Works real well with single word searches. You could also just parse through the resulting html and look for "Nothing found for that search" and not show that block or move to end if that exists in the html coming back from the craigslist.

This site is hard to use when I search for stuff within 100 miles and I am looking for rare items, I have to go through to many empty lists. I only use it when I need to do more then 1 keyword, or want to findstuff outside FL.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:22 pm

I understand your frustration, and I'm always looking for ways to make the site more usable. Unfortunately, the methods used by that eliteseeker site won't work here. They're scraping craigslist's servers directly. Assuming they grow to any significant size, craigslist will shut them down (as it has many similar sites in the past). If I changed my code to do what theirs does, it would work for a matter of hours, then the site would be shut down forever; not a good tradeoff in my opinion. ;)

I also can't just parse the html in the current frames because javascript has strict security measures in place to prevent exactly that. When a page is loaded from an external domain into a frame, it is not possible to access its contents. (Google cross-site-scripting (XSS), or cross-site iframe security issues.)

It may be possible to come up with a client-side solution using a small java applet to retrieve the craigslist information. (Kind of similar to the firefox extension suggested by 9th Ward below, except usable by all browsers.) Theoretically the results could then be displayed in any format desired. I am currently looking into that option.

guiri

Post by guiri » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:04 am

Guys, I'm a total fan of Nathan and his search tempest and I use it very often.

I've also had pretty extensive conversations with him over e mail and I can assure you, if there were a way to make this work, he would have already and I think I asked him this a year go.

To me, this is one of the coolest sites on the web. As far as I'm concerned, craigs list sucks doo doo, the format sucks, their rules suck and their searches suck (one city at the time) but hey, it's free and there's lots of good stuff there so I'll have to take it.

Now, ebay with all their money has totally $hitty search capabilities and that site is a damn fortune to use for sellers.

Nah, Nathan's doing a great job and as you can see, he keeps improving his site.

Now, I DO have a question to those who seem to be complaining only. How many of you that use his site ever bothered making a small donation for all his hard work?
Before you ask, I have a couple of times and I plan on doing it again.

With that said, you go Nathan. I like the new features and I will post some questions/suggestions as soon as I figure out which is the appropriate thread :)

George in NC, the one with "esignz.com" at the end of the e mail addy :mrgreen: