Cities that have 'nothing found'

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Greg

Cities that have 'nothing found'

Post by Greg » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 am

Does anyone think it would be helpful to either not list the cities that return nothing on a search or list how many returns there are for each city searched? This way, someone wouldn't need to click on every single city, which can be a little bit of a hassle when performing a large search.

But this tool is one of the best thing's I've seen in awhile; it's much appreciated!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Cities that have 'nothing found'

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi Greg,

Indeed, a lot of people think so, myself included! ;) However, it's actually not possible. Unfortunately, craigslist does not allow any automated searching of their site, which would include using automated means to check whether results exist. So to comply with their terms of service, not to mention to avoid being blocked, CraigsHelper must return the results (or lack thereof) exactly as-is. All the details are in the FAQ.

However, I just finished a new results mode that should improve things somewhat if you're doing searches with a lot of "not found" cities. It's called Stacked Mode. Check it out!

Cheers,
Nathan

kntutt

Post by kntutt » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 am

I have to agree that it would be better if the cities that had nothing that fit the search criteria were omitted. I also think that there should be the option to put a time frame similar to Ebay's "newly listed" or an actual window that allows us to put the date range in. That way the search could eliminate those items that we have already viewed as well as shorten the results list by not listing cities that we had already searched a few days ago.

samsnet

Post by samsnet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 am

it is a waste effort to list cities with nothing found for your search.
it is also not worth using this helper if it returns adds for things you weren't searching for.

Example I searched for Arrow Fletcher and got results listing Cars, boats everything but what I was looking for.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:17 am

samsnet wrote:it is a waste effort to list cities with nothing found for your search.
it is also not worth using this helper if it returns adds for things you weren't searching for.

Example I searched for Arrow Fletcher and got results listing Cars, boats everything but what I was looking for.
Kay, once again, it is not possible to filter out cities with no results.

Details of why are in the FAQ.

As for the keywords, I can't really control the words that appear in craigslist ads... :P If you search for 'arrow fletcher', you'll get any ad that has the words arrow and fletcher in it, anywhere. If you only want ads with the phrase "Arrow Fletcher", I would suggest selecting the "complete phrase" option under the keywords box. Also, if you only want ads where that phrase appears in the title (as opposed to anywhere in the ad), try selecting the "Search titles only" option.

Hope that helps.

Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 pm

If you can't do it by going directly to Craigslist, you can't do it here(other than searching all of them at once...).... Since Craigslist has no option for searching by date like Ebay, There is no way for Craig's Helper to filter them.... If you type "arrow fletcher" into Craigslist, you will get the same unwanted crap as you will here Along with what you actually want..... It is just one of the many quirks of Craigslist... My little tip: If you go to a city and look at the listings, click the top one, whether you are interested or not. Unless you clear your "cookies" on your computer on a regular interval, that posting will be highlited. Then, you can just look at everything above it and not have to re-read old posts.... 8-)

Craig's Helper is prety much just an electronic monkey typing things into boxes for you (good monkey.....keep typing...)

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks Eric, that's a helpful tip! If you wouldn't mind, could you post it in the tips forum as well? I'm sure some people would find that helpful, since I do get asked the date filtering question a LOT. :P

Cheers,
Nathan

3285lefk

Post by 3285lefk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:36 pm

what do u do when the states don't load? tried resetting but nothing changes,

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:55 pm

3285lefk wrote:what do u do when the states don't load? tried resetting but nothing changes,
OK.. so first, this should be in the help forum, not tacked onto a thread in the suggestions forum about searches with no cities returned... Also, I think you emailed me about this as well - if so, I replied there. If that email was from someone else, please post again in the help forum and I'll reply there.