Good and bad...

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
tigerdude77

Good and bad...

Post by tigerdude77 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:56 am

The "good" is the new format - love it. It got rid of all those useless pages, and it's easy to navigate.

The "bad" is:
1. Where do these "Chitika" ads come from? and how can I make them go away forever?
2. Is there some way to eliminate these spammers/scammers? When they post these stupid, time-wasting ads - can there be some way to prevent them from doing this over and over? Don't we know their IP or something? Once we flag their stupid ads, shouldn't Search Tempest be able to prevent them from posting more ads until they are proven innocent? Especially if they do it repeatedly. Maybe use the 3-strike rule on them.

Anyway - ST is a wonderful tool, and is now extremely useful - in spite of those stupid spammers. Good job guys.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Good and bad...

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 pm

tigerdude77 wrote:The "good" is the new format - love it. It got rid of all those useless pages, and it's easy to navigate.

The "bad" is:
1. Where do these "Chitika" ads come from? and how can I make them go away forever?
2. Is there some way to eliminate these spammers/scammers? When they post these stupid, time-wasting ads - can there be some way to prevent them from doing this over and over? Don't we know their IP or something? Once we flag their stupid ads, shouldn't Search Tempest be able to prevent them from posting more ads until they are proven innocent? Especially if they do it repeatedly. Maybe use the 3-strike rule on them.

Anyway - ST is a wonderful tool, and is now extremely useful - in spite of those stupid spammers. Good job guys.
Glad you like the new format!
The Chitika ads are actually present in both formats. There's no way to get rid of them forever, because... that's how the site pays for itself. You're welcome to close them for a particular search, or just scroll past them. (See this earlier topic from when they were first added.)
There's not much I can do about the craigslist spam... Flagging etc is an interaction with craigslist itself. My site simply shows you what they have listed. For both technical and legal reasons I don't want to get into the business of filtering out ads that they're still showing. Hope you understand!

tigerdude77

Re: Good and bad...

Post by tigerdude77 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 am

I completely understand about the Chitika ads - so no problem there.

For the SPAM ads - I wish there could at least be something to give us a clue that the ad is probably spam. Maybe add the PHONE NO in the heading. No phone number is my first clue, but I do actually reply to some without phone numbers, and they are almost ALWAYS a waste of time. When the reply email comes back wanting all my info, and the vehicle is in IDAHO and needs to be shipped - then I know it's a scam. And why can't those with vehicle ads try to include MILEAGE of the vehicle? How retarded is that? THAT is usually pretty critical IMO. I know you probably can't do anything about that, but an entry screen for vehicles would really be a great improvement towards fixing that. The new entry screen for ALL vehicles would require that Phone No, Mileage, and a few other details regarding any vehicle would eliminate most of these ads. Someday I hope that someone figures a way to track these scammers down.