New Results Format!

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
runna

Re: New Results Format!

Post by runna » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:29 pm

Searchtempest Nathan wrote:
Edit: Or not.. I just looked into this a bit more, and the problem was that I was opening the craigslist results in windows called "adframe". Because they were craigslist... ads. Apparently adblock plus in all its wisdom prevents you from viewing anything called adframe, regardless of what's actually in it, and so blocked them. I just changed the name, and now it works. :roll:
When you click on the ad, opening it inline, the color change feature doesn't work. If I want to keep track of the ads I've already viewed, I must click on the mouse wheel, opening the ad in a new tab. Doing this keeps the change of the color of the ad text when you navigate away from the search page and come back later.

This isn't a complaint, just an FYI. I'm very happy with your new format.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:16 pm

runna wrote:When you click on the ad, opening it inline, the color change feature doesn't work. If I want to keep track of the ads I've already viewed, I must click on the mouse wheel, opening the ad in a new tab. Doing this keeps the change of the color of the ad text when you navigate away from the search page and come back later.

This isn't a complaint, just an FYI. I'm very happy with your new format.
Ya, unfortunately the link highlighting thing is a built-in browser feature - it actually checks whether a site is in your history, and if so, highlights the link. Because ads opened inline don't go into your history, there's no way to make the browser remember the highlighting for future.

Really, I think opening ads in new tabs is always a good idea. That's what the tabs are there for. Only downside is then my tagline doesn't get added to emails you send out - so feel free to add it manually... ;)
http://www.searchtempest.com - Search Craigslist the EASY way - all your cities on one page!

duunoit

Post by duunoit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:11 am

Any way you can put a direct link to the activeX control for me? Thanks

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm

duunoit wrote:Any way you can put a direct link to the activeX control for me? Thanks
Sorry, I don't know what this is referring to. Do you mean the java applet? It's embedded in the Searchtempest enhanced results page. You wouldn't be able to do anything with a direct link... Or do you mean the java runtime environment itself? You can get that here: http://www.java.com/getjava/

duunoit

Post by duunoit » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:46 am

When I try to use SearchTempest in IE (no choice at work), it attemps to load an ActiveX control but can't because it is not a trusted site. I can't add it as a trusted site for a few other reasons... It is usually a .ocx or .dll file.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:30 pm

The ActiveX control is most likely IE's java runtime environment. If you can't use Java at work, you'll have to switch back to the classic format. There's a link at the top of the results page to do that, or you can get to it through the Results tab of the Options menu (link at the top-right of the main or results page).

duunoit

Post by duunoit » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:37 am

That's what it was. I had Java 6 update 13 on here, but it wasn't loading when it needed to. Uninstalled and installed update 17 and everything started working. Thanks

voodoolord

Post by voodoolord » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi, not new to your site but I am new to the forums. First I want to say thanks for making a great tool, Its very useful. That being said, Im not a big fan of the new search results. I would much rather scroll past empty cities and use the all in one window search than have to go from link to link. All the back paging and not being able to see if there's anything there before I click on it is really a pain. It was better when you could see details first then click on it if you think its relevant to what your looking for. This it a case of if its not broke........

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed May 26, 2010 12:50 am

voodoolord wrote:Hi, not new to your site but I am new to the forums. First I want to say thanks for making a great tool, Its very useful. That being said, Im not a big fan of the new search results. I would much rather scroll past empty cities and use the all in one window search than have to go from link to link. All the back paging and not being able to see if there's anything there before I click on it is really a pain. It was better when you could see details first then click on it if you think its relevant to what your looking for. This it a case of if its not broke........
These 'new search results' that you're commenting on aren't new anymore. They were a trial, using a java applet to provide exactly what you describe - results without the empty cities. Unfortunately craigslist requested that I make changes to the site, and they had to be shut down. You can check the faq for details on why the site operates as it does now: http://www.searchtempest.com/faq.php.

That said, I do have a plan to improve things. Right now I'm working on a visual redesign, which should be done soon. (For more on that, see the facebook page, then click on the 'version 3' tab at the top.) Once that's done, I'm going to try a results mode using Yahoo Pipes. Craigslist has decided to allow pipes access to their results for some time now, so I'm hoping it will be safe to count on it. I should hopefully have something ready within a month.

voodoolord

Post by voodoolord » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Nathan. I understand what your going through with Craigs, I have had my own run around and threatening responses from Craigs about the "gun related" rules. I hope you find a good medium that works for everyone.