ST Layout

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
bigalpha

ST Layout

Post by bigalpha » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:33 am

Nathan,

ST is awesome. 8-)

However, I think that the layout is somewhat cluttered. I spend a few minutes doing a little alteration on the layout in Powerpoint (work is slow today) and I have a few ideas/suggestions. I figure that you'd appreciate someone doing a little legwork along with the criticisms :lol:

- You have duplicated menus ("Options" and "More 'Where to Search' Options"). Since they contain the same information, perhaps you only need one link. The menu under 'more 'where to search' options contains more options than just "where to search". IMO, this menu should have options relating only to "where to search".

- I really like the feature that recognizes a postal code and switches the next phrase to "include cities in the US". However, to maintain consistency, perhaps it should read "Include cities outside Canada"

- The text under each heading (Where to Search, Search Options, Keywords) should be aligned the same. For example, under the 'Where to search' section, the next line under is indented inwards. However, the line under 'Search Options' is not.

Just a few ideas with a few minutes of downtime.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: ST Layout

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:04 pm

:) Thanks, I do appreciate the interest, and the legwork. I'm actually right in the middle of toooooooootally redesigning the look of the site right now. All these issues are being covered, and many more. It's going to be a huge leap forward; one that I'm very excited about. :D

The page is definitely overly cluttered, and the main focus of the redesign was to minimize that. The new site will be far more streamlined, modern, and attractive, while also being more powerful for advanced users. Anyway, it's awesome to see you identify so many of the same issues we're working on. (As well as one I hadn't noticed, but that is being corrected in the process of the redesign anyway - the different alignment of Search Options.)

I can't give an exact date yet, but look for a beta version of the new design to be available sometime hopefully in the next couple of months.

bigalpha

Post by bigalpha » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:57 am

See, you can't tease us all without some teaser pics!! 8-)

Sounds like you're making pretty good progress on the new design and have a good idea of what you are looking for/going to do. If you're interested, I wouldn't mind previewing your site to give you some suggestions or any other kind of help. While I'm no web designing guru, I'm not half bad at troubleshooting.

At any rate, I think it's cool when the developer maintains a constant awareness of his product and engages with the audience as well as you do. I look forward to seeing your final design when you roll the beta version out.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks! As soon as I get some teaser pics that fairly closely resemble the finished version, I'll post 'em in the news forum. :) And I'm definitely planning to roll out the working version first as a beta that I'll post about in the forums, then as a sort of preview linked from the main site, and finally replacing the old version.

bigalpha

Post by bigalpha » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:46 am

All of that sounds good, except...

You gotta hurry. :lol: