Multiple cities on one page!!!

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Greg

Re: Multiple cities on one page!!!

Post by Greg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Very nice! I like it a lot! Much easier than before.

One last thought (for now!) - If it's not too much trouble, add the ability to choose how many results per page are displayed? Seems to be set at 10 right now. But this is a nit, not a big deal.

You do good work!

Greg in WA

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi Greg,

I don't want to increase it *above* 10, because I don't want to put any unusual loads on craigslist's servers. If a few people pulled up 25 or 50 ads on a page, and actually looked at them, that would be ok. The problem is, if I gave the option, many people would use it just because they could, then only actually view the ads from a few cities..

However, I can add the option to customize it up to 10, and will look into doing so if it would be helpful. Something I also might try in the future is to have a 'premium' version or some such where you can increase the number of cities per page, as well as getting a few extra perks. As I see it, it could be a win-win for all. Serious searchers such as yourself would have the best tool possible, but only serious searchers would use it, so there wouldn't be any significant strain on craigslist. And finally (but also a consideration :)) I could make a few extra bucks. I'm thinking $10, depending on how cool I can make it.

There are a few things I need to get to first, but it's a possibility for the near future, especially if I get some positive feedback.

Anyway, glad you like the current version! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nathan

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 am

Stacked view is great.

flkeyman

Post by flkeyman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:42 am

I use Firefox 3. When the "top" banner opens allowing one to "dismiss" these top banners, if I select to dismiss, it seems that the back button no longer works, one must use the "Refresh" button on craigshelper page.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:04 pm

The top banner shouldn't have any effect on the back button. It's just a javascript thinger. However, because the results page pulls up results in frames, some browsers consider those to be navigations, so the back button will try to undo them before going back to the main page. If you want to use the back button to go back to the search parameters (main) page, you could always just click on the "Home (Modify Search)" link or the CraigsHelper banner.

Does that answer your question?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks for adding the stacked pages! This is a great tool - many thanks.

triplejackinga

Post by triplejackinga » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:58 am

Love the stacked results option, but one suggestion:

- Make it so you can adjust how many results/cities are shown per page. For instance, I'm looking for a very specific thing, and there's likely one in every 10 cities I search, if that many. Being able to just list all of them on one page would eliminate the last bit of 'Next-ing', as it's easy to adjust the size of each frame so that if there's any at all in that city, I can see it by scrolling by.

That being said, it's still awesome!

TJ

kntutt

Post by kntutt » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:44 am

I am not seeing much change in the new format and my Firefox browser locked up twice while using it.

Also, I have to agree that it would be better if the cities that had nothing that fit the search criteria were omitted. I also think that there should be the option to put a time frame similar to Ebay's "newly listed" or an actual window that allows us to put the date range in. That way the search could eliminate those items that we have already viewed as well as shorten the results list by not listing cities that we had already searched a few days ago.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:23 pm

TJ,

Glad you like it! I totally understand your desires. Unfortunately there is another side for me to weigh.. Greg asked a similar question above, and my response was
Craig's Helper Nathan wrote:Hi Greg,

I don't want to increase it *above* 10, because I don't want to put any unusual loads on craigslist's servers. If a few people pulled up 25 or 50 ads on a page, and actually looked at them, that would be ok. The problem is, if I gave the option, many people would use it just because they could, then only actually view the ads from a few cities..

However, I can add the option to customize it up to 10, and will look into doing so if it would be helpful. Something I also might try in the future is to have a 'premium' version or some such where you can increase the number of cities per page, as well as getting a few extra perks. As I see it, it could be a win-win for all. Serious searchers such as yourself would have the best tool possible, but only serious searchers would use it, so there wouldn't be any significant strain on craigslist. And finally (but also a consideration :)) I could make a few extra bucks. I'm thinking $10, depending on how cool I can make it.

There are a few things I need to get to first, but it's a possibility for the near future, especially if I get some positive feedback.

Anyway, glad you like the current version! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nathan
What do you think?

------
kntutt wrote:I am not seeing much change in the new format and my Firefox browser locked up twice while using it.

Also, I have to agree that it would be better if the cities that had nothing that fit the search criteria were omitted. I also think that there should be the option to put a time frame similar to Ebay's "newly listed" or an actual window that allows us to put the date range in. That way the search could eliminate those items that we have already viewed as well as shorten the results list by not listing cities that we had already searched a few days ago.
Kntutt,

You pasted this identical question in the help forum, in a thread where it had already been asked (coincidentally also by Greg) and answered (coincidentally also by me :D).. Sorry dude, but you can't change facts just by asking over and over..

To reiterate for everyone else, the problem is that craigslist expressly forbids websites from scanning their site through automated means. Anything I could do to check how many ads were returned for a search, filter out cities with no ads, filter by date, etc, would involve my code 'looking' at the results, which violates craigslist's terms of use. Even if I wanted to break their rules, there are technical blocks that make it difficult or impossible, as described in the FAQ.

That said, I do everything I CAN do to make searching craigslist as efficient and effective as possible, including the new stacked results mode and keyword options.

Now then, as for your Firefox problem, no one has mentioned that specific problem to me yet, so we'll have to do a bit of debugging to see what's up. The first things to try are
1) disable all firefox extensions
2) delete the cache, browsing history, and cookies
3) restart your machine

If you're still getting crashes after that, write back and let us know the operating system and version of firefox you're using, and I or someone will try and figure out what's up.

Cheers,
Nathan

Jeff in Albany

Post by Jeff in Albany » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:15 pm

I guess the stacked output is fine, but I still prefer the old way. Nav along the sidebar is good, though. Also new was the eBay results frame, but I don't know that I consider it to be much of a "bonus". More like Spam. Not well filtered, and if I wanted to look on eBay, I wouldn't be searching Craigslist.