Multiple cities on one page!!!

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Multiple cities on one page!!!

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Jeff in Albany wrote:I guess the stacked output is fine, but I still prefer the old way. Nav along the sidebar is good, though. Also new was the eBay results frame, but I don't know that I consider it to be much of a "bonus". More like Spam. Not well filtered, and if I wanted to look on eBay, I wouldn't be searching Craigslist.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback. That's why when I add new features like these, I try to give users the option to opt out. As you know, users can choose whichever results mode they prefer through the Options menu - which is good, because according to the poll, almost exactly half of users prefer the new stacked mode (and half don't! :) ). I'm curious though.. you say "..I still prefer the old way. Nav along the sidebar is good, though." But the navigation in the sidebar is part of the old way, not the new stacked mode. Am I missing something?

As for the eBay results, some users may have it convenient to access those results along with the craigslist ones; if not, you can just uncheck the 'show ebay results' checkbox on the search page. It will remember your choice, so you only have to do it once and you won't see them again.

Cheers,
Nathan

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 pm

Actually, Jeff, your comment gave me an idea. The option to hide the eBay results is now on the results page, right above the eBay stuff itself. I can see how people would have missed the old way, but now it should be a snap to get rid of if it's annoying.

Hopefully some people find it useful though. Since you wrote, I've improved the category selection, so it should be filtered much better now. I'll continue to tweak it as I get feedback.

Cheers,
Nathan

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:42 am

This really a cool option. Can search multiple cities much faster. Well done.

mbryan

Post by mbryan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am

Please oh please can you make it where it does not show the "nothing found" messages.
I only want to see results, Please.

Mark

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Sorry Mark. I'd love to, but it's not possible. See the FAQ for more details.

angel

Post by angel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:59 pm

I LOVE it!!!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:50 pm

More convenient than old way. Sometimes it returns to where you clicked a posting to check it out. Sometimes it returns to top of list, so you have to scroll down to where you left off. Wish you could fix, so always returned at point where you clicked.

Format is also narrow, so users are required to scroll to right to see rest of photo. Can you fix that?

Wish registering for your free trial was as easy as using Craigs Helper. Still unable to make that work.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:45 am

Guest wrote:More convenient than old way. Sometimes it returns to where you clicked a posting to check it out. Sometimes it returns to top of list, so you have to scroll down to where you left off. Wish you could fix, so always returned at point where you clicked.

Format is also narrow, so users are required to scroll to right to see rest of photo. Can you fix that?

Wish registering for your free trial was as easy as using Craigs Helper. Still unable to make that work.
Er... my free trial? What's that?

As for it being narrow... just make your browser window wider and it should get wider... It should fill the whole area, except for a bit on the right for the poll and ads. You can hide that area for more space by using the little right arrow there.

When you say "it returns", do you mean when you click the back button? That's a function of your browser, so probably not much I can do I'm afraid.. When you click the link for the next page, or a different set of cities (ie [21-30]), it will automatically go to the top of the page. That's by design, since you normally would begin at the top.

Hope that answers your questions!

bwhite

Post by bwhite » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 am

This is a great improvement. I'd like to see many more cities per page.
Nathan, I understand you concern regarding "loading" the CL servers, but, that is what they are there for, to help people find things. CL has not been innovative enough to provide the great tool you do, if they did it would produce similar server utilization on their end. Keep up the good stuff!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:36 pm

bwhite wrote:This is a great improvement. I'd like to see many more cities per page.
Nathan, I understand you concern regarding "loading" the CL servers, but, that is what they are there for, to help people find things. CL has not been innovative enough to provide the great tool you do, if they did it would produce similar server utilization on their end. Keep up the good stuff!
You can actually modify the number of cities per page up to 50 using the Display Options tab. That should be enough that even if you're searching the entire USA you'll only have a few pages to go through.