Multiple cities on one page!!!

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Multiple cities on one page!!!

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:10 pm

I've finished the brand new results mode. Before making an announcement on the main page, I thought I'd throw one up here so we could do some unofficial beta testing.

To access the new mode, run a craigshelper search as usual, then click the 'Options' link at the top-right of the results page. It should all be self-explanatory from there. (Don't want to give too many details, because the user-friendliness is part of the test.)

Let me know what you think! No impossible requests please.. ;)

Jim

Re: Multiple cities on one page!!!

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 am

Not working with IE.

I get the message stating that stacked frames won't work with IE.

However, I get the same message when I select the other options too.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:37 am

Yep, the current version isn't designed to work with IE I'm afraid. I'm planning to make a better message describing that, but I wanted to get it up quickly.

I see what you mean about the message though.. Oops! I'll have that fixed in a sec. If you're able to download Firefox to try it out though, I'd highly recommend it. Now that CraigsHelper works with version 3, that's probably the one to go for, so you don't have to get used to two different versions. It really is better than IE. You'll find a lot of other pages work better too. For example, I often find that eBay crashes when I try to view the second page of results in IE. In Firefox, no problem.

Peragro

Post by Peragro » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:34 pm

I think it's pretty cool. It allows for a quick search through lots of cities.

One suggestion along these lines though. Would it be possible to have a page of search results that omits any city in which no results were found and only shows cities in which items matching the search are located? Also, if those results could be just the link to the item with the title, date listed and city that would allow even more concise information and perhaps allow a quick nationwide search for a particular item.

BTW, Craigshelper rocks as is! You've done some awesome work here. Many thanks.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Unfortunately though, the things you suggest aren't possible.. Basically anything like that would involve my code actually 'looking' at the results from the craigslist cities, which craigslist doesn't allow. I am limited to presenting the results (or lack thereof) as-is. However, I can (and do) do my best to make it as easy as possible to pull them up and look through them!

See here and the FAQ.

Again though, thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like the new results mode!

ders

Post by ders » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:42 am

Good idea. I think the option of side-by-side would be great for widescreen laptops.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm

I absolutely LOVE the stacked pages -- saves so much time and all you need is the scroll wheel and right-click "back", and you can burn through the US. Thanks for making the improvements!

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:31 pm

Steve wrote:I absolutely LOVE the stacked pages -- saves so much time and all you need is the scroll wheel and right-click "back", and you can burn through the US. Thanks for making the improvements!
Great, glad you like it! :mrgreen: You can also use the (n) and (p) keys, or the left and right arrows, to change pages forward and back.
ders wrote:Good idea. I think the option of side-by-side would be great for widescreen laptops.
Hmm.. so like it is now, except with two columns?

pvkid

Post by pvkid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:22 am

Craig's Helper Nathan wrote:I've finished the brand new results mode. Before making an announcement on the main page, I thought I'd throw one up here so we could do some unofficial beta testing.

To access the new mode, run a craigshelper search as usual, then click the 'Options' link at the top-right of the results page. It should all be self-explanatory from there. (Don't want to give too many details, because the user-friendliness is part of the test.)

Let me know what you think! No impossible requests please.. ;)
WOW, when I thought it could not get any better you com up with this. Keep up the good work you are making my life easier. :D

ders

Post by ders » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Craig's Helper Nathan wrote:
ders wrote:Good idea. I think the option of side-by-side would be great for widescreen laptops.
Hmm.. so like it is now, except with two columns?
Exactly. It would probably work best when there are only 2 result sets. I search Long Island and NYC quite often and it would be great for that.