Service Ideas

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
ecodevoman

Service Ideas

Post by ecodevoman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi, thanks for making search tempest. This is great!

I just wanted to provide some ideas for ways you could make some money on this through some value added, at least they would be services I'd pay for.

1) Item notification.

Let users save the search terms for a particular item and range. Searchtempest runs the search at regular intervals and collects the hits or sends an email when there is a match. Or provide an area where a user could save searches and check mark all the searches to run at once.

2) Archival. Many times, sellers only post once but do not sell. I email prospect items to myself, but when I go back through to check on status after a listing has expired, Craigslist has deleted the record. There are some sites already taking full snapshots of the web for posterity and they allow people to drill back in time through archived content. It may be possible for searchers to tag a reference tracked in searchtempest or a companion site, then pull the original post up after it has expired from craigslist.

Those of us that search Craislist for things to buy are usually also sellers.

Seller Services

The same method searchtempest solves the problem of searching multiple craigslist locations could be used to provide assistance and tracking to people posting items for sale. At a minimum, it would be nice to have a service where all the things someone has for sale for craigslist are in one place. It would track when something is posted and when it expires. When it expires, it notifies the poster and asks if he/she would like to repost and does it automatically. It would even be helpful as a reference to copy and paste from.

You could even create a separate site with some compatabity with craigslist for people who use searchtempest...you know they are trying to sell in multiple markets, so it wouldn't be difficult to provide a diversion site linked to the main page that indexes long-term listings for regional sale.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Service Ideas

Post by Tempest Nathan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Interesting thoughts. Some things are difficult - for example, craigslist really doesn't like auto-posters, so that'd be out. Some sort of a tracker of ads by a seller may eventually be possible though. Ditto with the archiving.
I've got a pretty long to-do list, so we'll see when I can look at this kind of thing. You're going to see some cool changes/improvements in the next few months though!