More Condensed Results

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
jwilsons

More Condensed Results

Post by jwilsons » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:30 pm

As opposed to presenting search results the way you have previously, you might want to consider using the RSS feed option to parse out the individual links and locations so that instead of having to have a full iFrame with all of the crap that is included, you can just have a very simple tidy list that would be something of this nature:

Charlotte, NC
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
  • Item 3
Asheville, NC
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
It would be so much more succint and clean looking. Parsing the RSS XML isnt difficult at all and would also allow you to account for the 0 matches problem you are facing.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: More Condensed Results

Post by Tempest Nathan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:21 pm

All well and good, except that it would result in my server quickly being blocked by craigslist. This has happened to many other sites in the past, and will continue happening to new sites as soon as they gain enough popularity to get noticed.
I know it's not technically difficult. The issue is that craigslist doesn't allow it. (More details in the FAQ if you're interested.)

That said, I'm working on an alternate search mode using a google custom search that will return all the results in one window. The results are delayed slightly and are not sorted by city, so it's not ideal for people searching small regions; however, for those searching the entire country for rare items it should be quite useful.

jwilsons

Post by jwilsons » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:42 pm

You could potentially use a proxy to perform those functions though. If you had some sort of relay server, or was able to use the client as the relay for that information in some way that might fix the issue you are having...

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:04 am

Can't use the client - there are security blocks in place to prevent exactly that. Any work-around would be a serious hack and unreliable, if even possible.

Yes, I could probably use some system of rotating proxy servers, at least for some period of time. As far as I can tell, that's what the restrainingbolt guy does. Once again it would be unreliable. More importantly, it would be intentionally working against craigslist's wishes. I just don't want to do that.