I like the old Auto tempest so much better

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
Old_auto_tempest_fan

I like the old Auto tempest so much better

Post by Old_auto_tempest_fan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:46 pm

For the life of me I cannot fathom why you would go away from the old format. It is so easy to use and easy on the eyes. By mixing up results from different websites with different visual formatting, the interface is no longer clean. It is much more jumbled. I like the tabs because craigslist has ads of a certain flavor that autotrader and Cars.com ads lack, mainly more for-sale-by-owner. In addition, each listing takes up a tremendous amount of screen space and therefore requires a tremendous amount of scrolling with the fingers. When each listing is a single line, like on Craigslist direct search, I can visually scan the listing more quickly as the eye is faster than the hand.

I cannot for the life of my think of why you would change the layout. With the tabs at least I know what website is hosting the add. Why make it surprise? Also, I don't like being thrown to SearchTempest When I click on the "Craigslist" button. Maybe it is just me but I think when you search for vehicles on Autotempest(old) versus SearchTempest the results are better.

Lastly, It is a giant step backwards in presentation. Whereas the old AutoTempest has bold colors and distinct areas, the new site looks like a lame WordPress theme.

I am being brutally honest because I believe the old AutoTempest.com is the best thing out there for looking for cars. If you guys think a redesign will drive traffic you are mistaken. Advertising would have been a better place to put your money.

I look forward to your response.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: I like the old Auto tempest so much better

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to address some of your points, as well as passing this on to our lead designer in case it gives him any ideas for improving the new design. It's tricky though because design is very subjective. I can literally say that I've received emails from others saying they loved some of the same things you disliked. (Things like bold coloring vs a flatter design is one very divisive issue.) So we do the best we can to make something that works for as many people as possible! Anyway, on to your specific points.

As far as why we made the change, there were a bunch of little things, but it came down to three main points:
  1. Our most requested feature in user emails was in fact to remove the tabs and combine everything! We regularly receive emails stating that the tabs are a waste of time, unnecessary clicks and unnecessary decision making, and people would rather just have everything in one place. (Of course, I realize some prefer the tabs, and there was no reason for them to email us - until now - since it already worked the way they liked!)
  2. Our second most common request was to add more sites. But as we add more and more tabs, it quickly starts to get overwhelming.
  3. The tabs don't work very well on small phone screens, which is becoming a larger and larger percentage of users.
That said, we do recognize that for the reasons you state and others, some users do prefer to have the sites separated. We will be adding that as an option in the coming weeks, and until then you can still access the old site at http://old.autotempest.com/. A couple things to note about the new version though:
  1. It does still tell you where each listing comes from, just to the right of the listing title, so it shouldn't ever be a surprise. (And again, we will soon be releasing that option to have the sources be completely separate.)
  2. The craigslist results for both the old and new sites are powered by SearchTempest, and are actually exactly the same. The only difference is that we now open them in a new window instead of in a tab within AutoTempest. There were several reasons for this choice: it works better on mobile browsers, it allows the you to bookmark the searchtempest/craigslist results page directly if you want, and it makes all the craigslist-specific options at searchtempest available, so you have more flexibility in setting your search parameters. I agree that it's not perfect, but we felt it was the best compromise. You can still view the craigslist results using Direct Results mode at SearchTempest, if that is your preference.
I can see what you mean about liking the results to be more compact. (I assume you're specifically talking about a narrow phone window where the picture is above the text?) We have to balance that against having sufficient whitespace to keep things clear, and having large thumbnail pictures, which many users prefer, but we can see if there's something we can do there.

I hope that all helps, and please feel free to write back if I've missed anything, or if you have other thoughts. Thanks again.

Old_auto_tempest_fan

Post by Old_auto_tempest_fan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:39 am

I actually don't use Autotempest.com on my phone. I actually don't like pictures to show up in the search results and I haven't looked at the new Autotempest.com to see if there is an option to view it without pictures. I think showing the picture for every listing is clunky. what can you really tell from a small thumb nail anyway? When I am looking for a car I don't need to see a picture of it unless certain conditions are met, such as year and price.

But as long as "direct results" works the same in the new version than I will still use it

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 am

Old_auto_tempest_fan wrote:I actually don't use Autotempest.com on my phone. I actually don't like pictures to show up in the search results and I haven't looked at the new Autotempest.com to see if there is an option to view it without pictures. I think showing the picture for every listing is clunky. what can you really tell from a small thumb nail anyway? When I am looking for a car I don't need to see a picture of it unless certain conditions are met, such as year and price.

But as long as "direct results" works the same in the new version than I will still use it
Ah, sorry, when you mentioned scrolling with your finger I assumed you meant on a touchscreen. (I guess you actually meant with a mousewheel, which also makes sense!)

I will make note of that request for an option to not show pictures. Not sure if there will be enough demand for us to prioritize it, but if we get the same request from others we could look into it.

However, you mentioned that you only want a picture if year and price are within your range. Did you know you can filter by both year and price on the search form, so that the only results that come up will have the years and prices you're interested in?