bing

Archived. Please post suggestions to our new community page!
pumpkineater59

bing

Post by pumpkineater59 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 pm

In the past when using the combined mode with Google, it always limited me to 5 pages or less in the search result. Now using Bing, I'm able to get more result. I can see some people preferring google over bing and vice versa. Why not make both search engines available to use user to chose between?

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Re: bing

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 am

That's a good point, and I figured someone would bring it up. It's a fair question, but there are indeed a few reasons for us not to go that route. First off, managing two completely separate back-ends for our search doubles the development time we have to spend on that, which takes away from other things we would like to work on (like a better mobile version).

Second, every option we add adds complexity and makes the site harder for new users to learn. Each new option we add makes the existing ones less clear.

Third, while not the primary consideration, access to the Bing API costs us money for every transaction. When it's the best option, that's ok. But when there's a perfectly good (in fact, mostly superior) alternative in Google Custom Search, it does need to be considered.

Hope that makes sense. If you find the 100 result limit to be limiting, you could try changing the sort order to one of the 'separate cities' options. That way, you get 100 results for each city, which should be sufficient for most cases. (If you need even more results, we recommend the Direct Results mode or RSS feeds tool.)

pumpkineater59

Post by pumpkineater59 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Being in software development myself, I can only the the 3rd option as a valid reason.

Option 1: I agree that the development would double but as you already have this in place, it's just a matter of having them co-exist.
Option 2: I don't agree. If you really want to serve the best result, then you may have to support both as they do deliver different content and amount of content.
Option 3: Can't argue with that.

Just my 2 cents.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Fair enough. Do keep in mind for #2 that every time craigslist or Bing makes changes, we need to adapt. There is a maintenance cost. And for #3, I agree that there would be a potential improvement for advanced users. However, it would be at the detriment of the newer or less technically savvy. Besides, for advanced users wanting to get every result, we already have the RSS Feeds tool, which will do a better job than either search engine!

At least we have Bing to fall back on if anything happens with Google in the future though!

fishbones

Post by fishbones » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Why does Searchtempest no longer bring up current adds from Craigslist. I usually get nothing newer than 2-6 days ago.
It makes it useless, deals are gone before you even find them.

Tempest Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Tempest Nathan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:20 pm

fishbones wrote:Why does Searchtempest no longer bring up current adds from Craigslist. I usually get nothing newer than 2-6 days ago.
It makes it useless, deals are gone before you even find them.
Next time, please start a new thread for a new issue rather than replying to an unrelated old one. Just helps other people find answers in the future.

To answer your question, please see this entry in our FAQ: http://www.searchtempest.com/faq.php#missing. It explains why new results can sometimes not show up, and what you can do about it.